time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here it is.

Hint: There's really only one MAJOR commercial example of this style (only one I'm aware of at all), and even most homebrew examples (admittedly not very common) are really just clones of it.

ForumRunner_20110729_235435.jpg

bottlebomber said:
Tactical Nuclear Penguin clone ;)

Wow, this is actually surprisingly close for such an early guess.

But (just for future reference), I'm looking for the actual name of the style.

Okay... this "style" is actually pretty much a combination of two other styles. This applies to both the name AND concept of the style.

Nobody has guessed in 3 hours, so I'll just add that somebody got half of it right - as in, they got ONE of the two "component styles".

Cool.

See, the problem was, we're testing people on their brew knowledge, not their knowledge of Linnaean taxonomy. ;)

It was a hint lol. What was I supposed to say...this cloudy beer is made with things that look like big oranges?

emjay said:
Nobody has guessed in 3 hours, so I'll just add that somebody got half of it right - as in, they got ONE of the two "component styles".

Gosh that makes it HARDER lol.... you said I was close with TNP. That's an ÿber imperial stout. Now your saying that the brew is a combo of styles both in style and in name. So now im thinking like an imperial stout (imperial isn't really a style) or a black IPA (black isn't a style either) but there's lots of commercial imperial stouts, so that doesn't fit... *scratching head*

bottlebomber said:
Gosh that makes it HARDER lol.... you said I was close with TNP. That's an ÿber imperial stout. Now your saying that the brew is a combo of styles both in style and in name. So now im thinking like an imperial stout (imperial isn't really a style) or a black IPA (black isn't a style either) but there's lots of commercial imperial stouts, so that doesn't fit... *scratching head*

Let's put it this way. The fact that it's an imperial stout is NOT what made it a good guess.

Ok now im thinking about Sink the Bismark... that's a Quadruple IPA. I guess that's a double style, but it was a dark beer. Is it a Tripel Stout? *arg*! Im tapping out on this one till I get another hint

mlg5039 said:
Weizenbock.

Such as an adventinus clone.

Weizenbock is a single BJCP style though (15C). I suppose it IS a combination of two styles, so it satisfied that hint, but the answer I'm looking for is not listed in the BJCP, and has more in common with bottlebomber's guess.

Just to get this over with, I will say that yours was also a damn good guess. Probably even better than bottlebomber's, in fact. But they were both GREAT guesses for different reasons, and if you take them both into consideration, the answer should be easy!

EVERYBODY can guess again, including you.

The main issue seems to be that people are REALLY misunderstanding why I said Tactical Nuclear Penguin was a good guess. And also, apparently that it's the weekend and so not nearly as many people are playing.

I'll give another hint in 2 hours or so, and that will be it for the night!

mlg5039 said:
**** I only read back to the Sink the Bismark guess.

That is actually an equally good guess for exactly the same reason, so no big deal.

Basically, the two (or three) close guesses that are really all you need to be able to come up with a confident final answer (rather than a wild guess) are:

bottlebomber said:
Tactical Nuclear Penguin/Sink the Bismarck
&
mlg5039 said:
Weizenbock.

Such as an adventinus[sic] clone.

Luckily, as someone pointed out — "imperial" isn't a style, so it never stood a chance.

Imperial weizenbock isn't in the BJCP, and as you pointed out, weizenbock is a combination of two styles (weizen and bock).

I can't think of anything that TNP and StB have in common except that they are both "Imperial".

My guesses might seem like 'wild' guesses, but I assure you that they aren't.

I was just starting to think along those lines... and also they both used to be the world's strongest beers. That title now appears to belong to End of History... an eisbocked Belgian Blond ale.

Well, the discussion kind of ruined my next hint, so I'll just say this:

You guys seem to be on the right track, and anybody who's had the single major commercial example of the style I'm talking about should now be able to get the answer no problem.

So... everyone can give it another guess. Bonus points for naming the commercial example.

Back