First Stout - Dry, Sweet, Milk, Oatmeal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
With so many stouts out there it's hard to figure which one would be good to brew for my first Stout.

I am looking for a "coffee" forward type stout to pair well with a cigar as the weather begins to warm up.

I was thinking about doing something similar to the Wake N Bake clone found on the Brewing Network but I really don't have a lot of knowledge on stouts.

Any input or things I should consider?

Thanks!

Here is the recipe I was leaning towards, let me know if the black/roasted malts are too much or two little. I want this to be a smooth stout with just a little heat and a coffee forward flavor.

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017
SRM: 39
IBU: 49
ABV: 6.3%
Yeast: WL Cali V

11lbs Pale Malt - 68%
1.3lbs Caramel 80 - 8%
1.15 Flaked Barley - 7%
1.15 Flaked Oats - 7%
.5 lb ea of Chocolate, Black Barley, Roasted Barley 3%

Hops
1oz Columbus 60 min [39 IBU]
1oz Chinook 10 min [9.9 IBU]

Figure I'll mash around 150 (on the dry side) let ferment out around 69 for 2 weeks then rack onto course ground coffee beans in secondary for 48 hours.

I am going to get the coffee from a local shot and was thinking about getting 2oz each of Costa Rican and Guatemalan. Is this enough to give it the coffee flavor?

My oatmeal stout has a coffee flavor, but without any coffee, because of the recipe I used. If you want to check it out, you can see how I put it together. You could always add coffee to it at bottling or secondary if you want a more pronounced coffee flavor.

Dial back the crystal malt a little. Recipe looks a little heavy on that.

Also I hope you mean roasted barley and not flaked barley. Flaked has next to no color at all, so unless you're brewing an albino stout you want some roasted barley in there. A touch of chocolate malt wouldn't hurt either. If you still plan to use both flaked barley and flaked oats I would dial back the amounts slightly.

Back