Rating Superbowl XLV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoma

Reaction score
I got into a bit of an arguement with a Packer fan at work. He asked what I thought of the game and I said I started to fall asleep after half time and that I was glad the Steelers didnt get another ring and Rodgers tied Favres record but I would have liked to see some lead changes or a come back from behind.

I also felt the commercials were pretty weak with the exception of the Vader, Faith Hill, and Bud Light kitchen makeover (not that their beer is worthy but that was still pretty funny). I also thought that the performances were weak. Aguilera couldnt even sing the lyrics and Fergie couldnt sing her way onto American Idol. Even this years American Idol, where almost everyone gets a golden pass.

So after this guy got all upset I asked around. I got a couple of sixes and a seven. I even told him I was happy for him and his team just honestly was starting to get bored with it and caught myself falling asleep a few times. I'm also a big Cardinal fan and once they are eliminated and fantasy is over my interest seems to die down some.

But I am curious as to if it was just me that thought it was a bit dull or if anyone else also thought so. What would you rate this Super bowl on on a scale of 1-10 all things considered :confused:

I think it was just you. Although it wasn't one of the best super bowls of all time it was a good game. The Steelers had the ball with 2 minutes to go and down by 6. The rapist had a chance to cement his HOF chances if he would have made that drive. Of course, he didn't and the Packers won the SB. Congrats to them, good game, I'll give it an 8. BTW, Viking fan here, not a fan of either team that played.

Hmm... I thought it was pretty interesting actually. I mean it was all Packers in the 1st half even though the theifs scored before half. I would give it a 7 I guess.

I'd give it around an 8, maybe not quite a 9. We have a guy who's been whining around here all morning about how the Steelers got robbed on that last pass. You know, the one where the ref didn't call out pass interference because of incidental contact on the leg that didn't interfere with the catch. Every time he gets told off, he just finds another person to whine to for a while. It's actually kind of funny.

I dunno it was just OK. I suppose I'd rate it a 6 or 7. The second half was definitely better than the first, though. Neither team was in top form.

I don't see how the Steelers got robbed when they kept turning the ball over. People always complain about one specific play where the ref made the wrong call (even if it wasn't) as if that was the deciding factor in the game, when in reality that's hardly ever the case. Usually it only gets to that "pivotal" play thanks to a bunch of earlier mistakes.

Halftime show was just awful. I mean Black Eyed Peas playing the most mind-numbingly stupid song in the universe does not exactly inspire me. I also don't get why they sang "America the Beautiful" right before "Star-Spangled Banner", and how she could screw up the lyrics like that.

I would have liked to see some lead changes or a come back from behind.

I guess you were watching a different Superbowl? The Steelers came back from a 21-3 deficit to make it 21 -17 early in the third, and from there it was back and forth, until basically the last play of the game. Not a fan of either team, but the game was good.

I'm not sure I watched the superbowl. I think I watched a few hours of Glee commercials.

Bad play on all involved. Steelers with their turnovers, Packer receivers couldn't make catches and that BS Facemask penalty by the refs on the punt return.

I think the audio problems threw off the Pea's rhythm a little but they recovered in the end. I just wish Fergie would have sung "Sweet Child o' Mine" in her own voice and not try to imitate Axl Rose.

The game was enjoyable enough...just not great like some of the past ones ( the Patriots winning Superbowl XXXVI by a field goal against "The Greatest Show on Turf" comes to mind ).

I think that the aroma was good but the mouth feel was a little watery. The bitter aftertaste seems a little high to me but is appropriate to the style I think.

National Anthem: 1/10
Half-time "show": 2/10
Commercials: 3/10
Game itself: 6/10 ("close" game; but way too many turnovers and dropped passes. GB missed at least three would-be breakaway TDs either by horrible throws or missed catches)
Overall: 5/10 (I won't remember much about this game 3-5 years from now)

Well, I have been a life-long Packer fan, so the outcome of the game made me pleased. But on other issues that have been raised:

Xtina and the Star-Spangled Banner...on, my! That was just bad.

The commercials...I think my wife and I saw ONE that we thought was good.

The half-time show...not too bad, not too good. Not my kinda stuff, but OK.

The game overall...not very exciting.

My wife and I turned off the tv during the 3rd quarter and went to bed! But every time I awoke overnight, I wondered if the Pack had won!

So, my "number" on Super Bowl XLV? Maybe a 3 of 10.

glenn514:mug:

Overall I would give the game itself an 8. Very exciting, pretty much came down to the wire. Anthem and halftime sucked, but that seem to be the norm the last few years. I told my friend he should have gotten the Lingerie Bowl on PPV at halftime.

+1 about people whining about the refs. As the Steelers mounted their comeback, everyone at the party I was at started bitching after every single play. It got old real quick. One guy spent the entire rest of the game bitching about the excessive celebration call. He didn't like it at all when I told him to let it go......

It didn't look like two championship teams playing each other, that's for sure. The halftime show was okay...better than geriatric classic rockers stiffly shuffling on stage. Not my kind of music, but I liked the lighted dancers. I found it more entertaining than the game, which ain't saying much. I was expecting more. I'm glad the Packers won.

Honestly, I thought it was a great game. It wasn't pretty to the casual fan, but whenever you have two great defenses going at it, the offenses are expected to struggle. GB had way too many dropped passes, but that tends to happen when you try going over the middle against the steeler's linebackers and polamalu...Even with Woodson going down, GB's D stepped up big time with the forced fumble (Matthews of course). With that being said, I'm glad GB won and really glad Driver finally got a ring. Rodgers is a stud, I wouldn't be surprised if he won one or two more.

Good game - I thought it was over after the first, but the Steelers kept themselves in it despite Big Ben throwing picks. I agree with the above; when you get two top-tier defensive clubs facing each other, it's not going to make the offense look pretty. Agreed also that Rodgers is USDA Prime - I'm a Pats fan, and would love to see he and Brady take a whack at each other in the Super Bowl before Pretty Boy Tom starts to show his age.

Christina Aguilera.. Ooof... What a shame - she has an amazing voice, but has never sung the Anthem well. It's a beautiful song, just SING THE MELODY and don't try to get cute. She did, and look what happened. Sing the Star Spangled Banner wrong in front of how many millions of people? Never going to live that one down, "XTina."

Halftime show was visually entertaining, but auditorily disturbing.

-edit- I wish Justin Timberlake picked Fergie to go on stage with instead of Janet Jackson and her deflated water balloons.

I use the DVR to watch TV. The game started here at 6:35 I started watching at 7:15. I zipped through all the commercials, was caught back up at halftime. I left for another 40 minutes or so zipped through the half time show, zipped through commercials, time outs etc. I was a couple of minutes behind at the end of game. I spent about 1 1/2 hours total viewing time. I thought it was a good game. I give it a 7.

I thought it was a great game. The Steelers were never out of it. Disappointed Polamolu didnt show up. Both teams played sloppy. It came down to the last 30 seconds. Cant ask for more.

Christina sucked. Halftime sucked. Commercials were alright (but they are just commercials - I was getting more beer and queso).

I thought it was just "meh". In fact, I was so unimpressed at certain points of the game I switched over and watched some of Puppy Bowl VII on Animal Planet...

I thought the game was great, I was into it the whole time, and I was stoked to see the Packers win. Being from the Chico area I was really happy to see Aaron Rodgers get a ring. Everything else was pretty boring to me though, especially the commercials. Maybe I'm losing my sense of humor though, because everyone around me was cracking up. I missed the Anthem because I had my face buried in a bowl of Gumbo. Overall I think the game was strong enough to give it an 8.:mug:

Commercials were weak. The half time show blew ass. I mean, the black eyed peas are whatever in my book but I thought their performance was piss and really boring. Plus, Fergie sounded like ass.

I thought the game was ok but it didn't feel like two championship teams battling it out for the title. It looked like two above average teams playing it out without a lot of drive.

I paused the game and had sex. That was the best part of the game.

I thought it was just "meh". In fact, I was so unimpressed at certain points of the game I switched over and watched some of Puppy Bowl VII on Animal Planet...

This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on this forum.

:eek:

I guess soccer fans don't appreciate football.

For all those whining how sloppy it was with all the dropped passes...
If those receivers catch them all it would have been 45-25, then you'd be whining about a blowout.

For all those whining how sloppy it was with all the dropped passes...
If those receivers catch them all it would have been 45-25, then you'd be whining about a blowout.

As long as the Steelers had 25, you'd hear no complaint from me. :cross:

Speaking of diva "Xtina" botching the Star-Spangled Banner, I came across some young girls singing it on YouTube about two years ago. Every time I watch/listen to that video, the hairs on my arms stand up and I get goose bumps! And they are from west Texas...not really "local talent," but close enough.

Go to YouTube and enter "Cactus Cuties." Click on your choice of video and prepare to be blown away! MUCH better than "Xtina."

glenn514:mug:

So it doesnt seem like I was totally alone in feeling it wasn't too exciting. I have received so far:
6-7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 3, 5, 8, and I give it a 6.

That averages out to about 6.65 out of 10. I'm going to tell the Packer fan sorry but the consensus of home brewers agrees the game was below average at best.

So it doesnt seem like I was totally alone in feeling it wasn't too exciting. I have received so far:
6-7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 3, 5, 8, and I give it a 6.

That averages out to about 6.65 out of 10. I'm going to tell the Packer fan sorry but the consensus of home brewers agrees the game was below average at best.

Wow, you must be a math wizard.:D
Try again.

who the h*ll cares about christina, BEP, commercials? there was a football game on for christ sake.

and if you didn't think that was an exciting game, you don't understand football.

Yes, but on a scale of 1-10, 5 would be considered "average". Therefore 6.65 would be above average. just sayin'

I see what you mean. I was looking at it as a 66% is a D. I'm not trying to argue with anyone and I am a fan of football. Just wondering if I was alone in getting bored.

IMO the game was good but just about everything else was bad to horrible. Even the weather leading up to it was bad, ice falling from the roof and injuring people, people arriving only to find out they no longer have seats, stripper shortage (lol), etc.

Aguilera was terrible.
Black Eyed Peas revealed to everyone that they are talentless hacks and were absolutely atrocious. I thought their pre-game performance a couple years ago showed that but people still listen to these clowns.
Commercials were subpar for a SB.

But Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were good and the game was good. 7 out of 10 for the game itself imo.

Ran out of chocolate espresso stout before the anthem even started and the house rye ale kicked before halftime. That being said, I don't remember the second keg kicking, so I'll go middle of the road 5/10 (being a steeler fan probably lead to the consumption and memory lapse).

I think a "D" is about right. Maybe a C-. F'ing up the Star Spangled Banner automatically put it below a C+, so it was just going to be an uphill battle in any case after that.

Maybe I'm alone in this but the only thing I judge for a super bowl is the game. I don't care about pre-game, half time, commercials or media day. I don't even watch the half time show. I get beer, use the restroom, smoke, gather food for the second half and discuss what the losing team needs to do to come back. When I remember a super bowl I remember the game. And I'll remember this one more than some and less than others.

Back