Will this work for wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
A recipe from a member here for a hefeweizen is:
3 lbs Wheat DME
3 lbs extra light DME
1.1 oz. hallertau hops
WLP351 Weizen yeast

This makes for a hefeweizen, I want to substitute this yeast for a Brewferm Blanche dry yeast that I just read about in the latest issue of BYO. It's under the Belgian wits and wheats, but what would it be exactly? I'm just not prepared to go to liquid yeast because I know I'll want to wash it and save it and mentally, I'm just not comfortable with that aspect just yet. It's still an ale. What would happen if I just went 6 lbs wheat DME??? Primary bomb???

The recipe looks great. Very close to many of mine...including the yeast (WLP351).

If you do not use a German Hefe Weizen yeast then you will not brew a Hefe Weizen in my book. Anything else is either a plain wheat or a wit (if Belgium yeast is used).

Blanche means white in French and USUALLY refers to wine, but if the article says Belgium then go for it.:D

You really don't want to go 100% wheat. In fact, what is sold as wheat LME is often about a 60/40 mix. There's hefe weizens and weizens. Use a weizen yeast & you get a weizen.

Should be just fine. (if you like wheats)

Ol Grog - Did you ever use this Brewferm Blanche after all? Although people seemed unfamiliar at your time of post, the Blanche yeast definitely says "suitable for producing Belgian-style Witbiers and other brews where light banana and clove aromas are desired."

See my post a little further down the page regarding wanting to try this yeast... Maybe you can offer up the recipe used? Did you use the light extract or just do all-wheat (60/40, 55/45 blend of course)...

I just made a hefe using 6 pounds of wheat DME, 1 oz of hallertauer and 3068 (Weiheinstephan) yeast. Turned out brilliant after only 10 days in the primary, then in the keg for about 5 days.

I just made a honey wheat with a little orange peel. 6lbs of Munton's Wheat DME, pound of honey, 1 total ounces of Cascade. It's only been bottled for a few days now but it was nice at bottling. I understand Munton's wheat is already a 60/40 mix so no need to break out the extra light DME.

Thank's fellas - As noted I'm only doin 2 gal. to test this dry wheat yeast compared to the White labs hefe/wit yeasts I've used in the past.

I think the recipe I came up with for 2 gallon is a 45 minute boil of: 2.25lb Wheat DME (55/45 mix), 1/3oz. Hersbrucker for 45, 1/4oz. Hallarteur for 30. And of course the DRY Brewferm Blanche yeast. I plan on glass primary for 10 days, then bottle. Hope its good after about 3 weeks, but we'll see! :)

(And more importantly I really hope this Brewferm pans out and offers the banana/clove aromas/tastes it advertises!!)

SilkkyBrew said:
(And more importantly I really hope this Brewferm pans out and offers the banana/clove aromas/tastes it advertises!!)

Wyeast 3068 really packs in the bananas, so if you're disappointed with your yeast, go Wyeast. (I sound like a commercial.)

Haha, will do... I've been satisfied with WhiteLabs Belgian Wit and Hefeweizen strains as well... but...

I just really wanted to try a dry wheat yeast since I found one and it seems noone takes the chance on it, always going with the liquid (myself included until this sample batch)...

Doric wheat yeast was discontinued it seems b/c noone used it (or maybe it just sucked), but this Brewferm stuff looks a little more promising from the packaging and price alone... (i.e. I wouldn't have trusted Doric either at only $1 or so a pack and no advertisement of "this is good for belgian wheats and imparts banana/clove flavors"). Not that price is a good indicator of a good yeast, but usually more complex yeast strains = more money; at least thats my reasoning.

So how did it come out? -- it's got to be almost ready by now... I've never brewed a hefe-weisse, but it's what I really want to do next, preferably an all extract recipe, but I'm having a hard time finding a detailed recipe for such a brew using the search feature, I keep getting "faked out".

Back