1 Lb of Chocolate in a Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefe21

Reaction score
So here is my situation. When I gave my grain list for a recipe to my LHBS clerk he accidently put in a whole pound of chocolate malt mixed in with 9# 2-row, 1.0# Crystal 80, and 4 oz Biscuit. The recipe called only called for 2 oz of chocolate, and since it was all milled in together, there was no going back.

I got my recipe re made correctly, and told him I'd take the 9# 2-row, 1# crystal 80, 1# chocolate, and 4 oz biscuit for half the price. I know I could get a decent brown ale from this, but I think that is way too much chocolate malt for one. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to balance it or maybe just an idea of what I can do with this bag of grain? Like I said its all mixed together pretty well, so picking it out isn't an option. I should mention that my MLT is only a 5-gallon, so 10 g batches aren't really possible. TIA!

Make an imperial stout. You'll have to add some more grains obviously, and may have to add some extract depending on the OG you shoot for if you can't fit all the grains in your mash tun, but it should work.

You could turn it into a stout, maybe an imperial if you have room. I checked a few recipes and the ingredients are close, minus the biscuit, which could be fine, I just did not see it in any of the recipes I had. Some roasted barley and oats or flaked wheat where in most I have. Let me know if you need some baseline recipes and I can send them to you.

That's actually a really good grainbill for a robust porter. Brew it up just like it is and it'll be a great porter -- darker than a brown ale, not as roasty as a stout -- should taste great.

I use half a pound of chocolate malt in my robust porter and have thought about trying a tweek by upping the chocolate to 1#. I think you'll be fine with that grain bill for a porter :mug:

I think you guys are on to something with the porter idea. Putting together the rest of the recipe right now. Thanks everybody :mug:.

You could also split the grains in half, then add to them to make two batches, each with .5lb of chocolate.

Right now I have a porter in the secondary that used 1lb of chocolate and some black as well. Mine is going to be close to 9%. When I tried some during the transfer it reminded me a lot of a Polish beer called Black Boss Porter. Yummy!

I have a porter that I used 1# of chocolate and it turned out very good. If I were to do it again, I would add some black patent also. Mine happened to be almost 10 percent.

I use a pound of chocolate in my oatmeal stout. Add two pounds of cooked, rolled oats to the mash, cook them for a while to make sure they are converted during the mash, and you will end up with a nice beer.

I like the crystal 80, choco and biscuit combo. Sounds like a darned nice beer without the oatmeal.

So here is my situation. When I gave my grain list for a recipe to my LHBS clerk he accidently put in a whole pound of chocolate malt mixed in with 9# 2-row, 1.0# Crystal 80, and 4 oz Biscuit. The recipe called only called for 2 oz of chocolate, and since it was all milled in together, there was no going back.

I got my recipe re made correctly, and told him I'd take the 9# 2-row, 1# crystal 80, 1# chocolate, and 4 oz biscuit for half the price. I know I could get a decent brown ale from this, but I think that is way too much chocolate malt for one. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to balance it or maybe just an idea of what I can do with this bag of grain? Like I said its all mixed together pretty well, so picking it out isn't an option. I should mention that my MLT is only a 5-gallon, so 10 g batches aren't really possible. TIA!

Add more malt to balance out the chocolate, do first and second runnings. Dilute your first runnings to a reasonable gravity, get 2 beers out of it...

Back