Modified Watermelon Wheat Recipe Question (Guava)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PhilthePirate

I'm making a modified version of the recipe found here by Ben the Brewman https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/watermelon-wheat-79449/

Here are the two major changes I've made/plan to make:
-Tettnang hops
-Guava instead of watermelon

I've found very little information on brewing with guava, as it's not what most would consider a widely available fruit. After trying for about a week to find some guavas locally, I decided to drive to a Hispanic market and came home with the following:

-Guava Nectar (juice)
-Guava Paste (solid, bar form)
-Frozen guavas (about 5lbs)

What I'm wondering is what suggestions anyone has in regards to the "best" way to get this into my beer. I'm currently on the tail end of primary and should be able to rack into secondary by tomorrow evening. Should I just add in the fruit once I'm racked to secondary? Puree it? Puree the fruit with some paste and juice? I don't necessarily want the fruit to overpower, but I do want it to make it's presence known.

I've spent time reading other posts around the net, and what I've come up with so far leads me to believe that I want to thaw the fruit, remove the stems and seeds, smash what's left into pulp, mix it with a little guava nectar and pasteurize at about 180 for 15 minutes. At this point, I am looking for any other tips and tricks, suggestions, whatever - this is my first fruit beer so anything is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Instead consider Simcoe hops for the flavor and aroma additions to get the Guava flavor. I find that Simcoe really imparts a flavor not unlike Guava.
Find a beer heavily hopped with Simcoe and see for yourself. You may be able to save some time and money on this.

Back