I love Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find the entry forms on those links. Many competitions don't require the recipe, but it is on the form. When you enter the larger comps, most do require you to fill out the recipe section.

I'm offended by the "pissing' remark!

Don't make me post a picture of all my ribbons...

Ok..I'm just kidding. This got far too serious for me.

Once again

Peace

As to dry yeast being less expensive, that's just not true.

I fail to see how this could be even remotely true.

a)liquid yeast is more expensive from the very beginning (no arguments here I'm sure)
b)you can harvest/wash dry yeast slurry just as easily as liquid
c)risk of infection is higher when making a starter...especially for novice brewers. tossing a batch, even if it only happens <5-10% of the time, costs money!

AND...most importantly for me:

d)making starters takes TIME and for a lot of people TIME = MONEY

I tend to use more liquid yeast than dry, though I don't usually factor cost into the equation since I harvest a small sample from every strain vial I use to slant for future propagation; a single vial can, theoretically, be used indefinitely.

I dislike the tartness I get from Nottingham, so I rarely use it - though I have a few sachets in my supply fridge.

There are subtle differences between many English and American strains that can be emphasized by process - some allow the malt to shine through; others, the hops, etc.

Don't make me post a picture of all my ribbons...

Ok..I'm just kidding. This got far too serious for me.

Once again

Peace

LOL...I just did realize that before I even countered you, you DID get called out by Denny....about that ludicrious 10-1 award thing.

That's tantamount to getting called out by Arnold Palmer to show your golf cards. ;)

Because unless your last name happens to be Zainasheff (or Woods in golf) then it's doubtful that you have more ribbons then Denny does. And if he said that they don't ask about yeast in contests, he would know more about that than I would.

You might wanna check into his credentials a wee bit.

Let me help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Denny

;)

Peace!!!! :mug:

LOL...I just did realize that before I even countered you, you DID get called out by Denny....about that ludicrious 10-1 award thing.
I'm well aware of who Denny is. He just asked the source of my statistic and was polite enough not to call it "ludicrous". I actually think the ratio is higher.

When Zymurgy publishes some of the winning recipes from the NHC..check to see how many used dry yeast. There are competitions outside the State of Michigan.

You don't know when to stop, but I do.

I'll answer that for denny...since it was me.

Zymurgy has a habit of publishing winning recipes from the NHC every year and yes they list a yeast and the grain/extract bill, as do most other competitions on the entry form.

On the form notice the part on 'yeast culture' and just to the right of that notice the list for 'fermentables'.

http://www.beertown.org/events/nhc/pdf/Entry_Recipe_Form.pdf

Save your sermons for someone else

NHC dooes ask for recipes for beers that make it to the final round so they can be published in Zymurgy if they win. I've entered and run LOTS of other comps and recipes have never been asked for in any of those.

Not from what I heard on the basic brewing podcast a couple years back that was all about gluten free brewing and yeasts (I have posted the link to the discussion in various gluten free threads.) The discussion seemed to stress that fermentis was the only one.

The links to the info I use to back up my claim can be found here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/985103-post7.html

But hey if they are and you can show me the info, then I will include that whenever I get asked about gluten free brewing.....I'll even go back and revise that old post to include the links so anyone who searches for the info in the future will find it.

You have outdated info....

Wyeast Laboratories. Gluten Free Liquid Yeast from Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.™ April 26, 2007

This is not an argument between us it is simply me asking where he got his facts.....nothing more....

Guess I missed that...you mean facts about GF yeast or whether dry or liquid is more prevalent? If it's GF, I've posted that info.

Well, I have been known to be a little sardonic, especially when someone jumps on me. All I tried to say was: You're wrong about the info on BJCP competition entry forms and you are.

So peace and goodwill..

There is no "BJCP entry form". Every comp sets their own rules and makes their own forms. LIke I said, in 10 years of entering and running comps, I've never run across one other than NHC that asks for recipes. I know there are a few out there that do, but they're in the minority.

Oh awesome, I'll update that info in the post with the podcasts!!!!!

:mug:

But I did notice it is only 1 ale and one lager yeast yet...so basically there are 3 dry and 2 liquid that we know of that can be used. But I guess there's no way to make a "gluten free" Belgian Spelt or something beer yet...nothing you can get the phenols needed from it yet.

This got me thinking I don't need to brew GF...but I wonder if there's a way to get some of that funk, peppery-ness or phenols, into a Spelt beer or something? What do you think?

There is no "BJCP entry form". Every comp sets their own rules and makes their own forms. LIke I said, in 10 years of entering and running comps, I've never run across one other than NHC that asks for recipes. I know there are a few out there that do, but they're in the minority.

My intention is to bow out of this subject, but since it's you, I'll respond.

I should have said 'AHA sanctioned competitions' rather than BJCP. Yes, the comps make their own forms & rules, but most of those forms have a common theme...a recipe section. Those of us who enter on a semi-regular basis understand that it is not a requirement to fill it out, unless ask to do so. Most don't ask, but many ask us to be willing to submit the recipe if asked to do so.

I've already said that most don't ask for it, but some of the larger competitions do. I know that the KC Beer Meisters would not accept my on-line registration without it & I certainly could not have entered the NHC without it. Maybe it was a flaw in my internet connection or just a bad computer.

Just FYI, there are no AHA sanctioned comps. The BJCP does the sanctioning. And I've still gotta tell ya that in 10 years of entering and running comps, NHC is the only one that asked for a recipe. I'm certainly not saying there aren't others, but it's far less likely than you believe.

There are competitions outside the State of Michigan.

Yeah and I have entered a few too, that were bjcp, and I never was asked for a recipe, and they were all online as well, and pretty much used the same pull down step by step registration that I linked to, in fact I have been noticing a lot of comps are using the same online company for registration, because they all tend to look exactly the same, and work the same.

I'm pretty sure you didn't try too hard to look for the links to enter a beer in the links I offered, or else you would have come upon something that looks like this.

snobscreen.jpg

Which as you can see asks for Name of beer, category, assistant brewer, then if you click on a category like 21 it will then ask you for what spices and other ingredients go in there...but even then they still don't ask for what type/brand of yeast.

And then generated this label that goes on the beer bottles, not to different from the State fair ones, etch for the frilly knight border.

http://www.snobsbrewclub.com/renfest/graphics/forms/Blank_2009_B_Label.pdf

But tell me, how many comps outside of Michigan can say that they get a minimum of 800 beers/per contest? You may not realize that Michigan has one of the largest concentrations of homebrewers that nearly any state, and has more homebrew shops than many states...I think we are in the top 5 if I recall...

I have about 7 alone in no more than an hours drive, and 3 in my town which has around 30,000 people.

And were are not on the bottom of the list for contests either.

We were one of the first states to legalize microbreweries, and have over 60 microbreweries/brewpubs in our state, many which have won awards at the GABF.

So we aren't "podunk" homebrewers here. Nor am I...And fyi, John Palmer began his homebrewing experience in Michigam as well.

All we were getting at was that perhaps your "Liquid Yeast wins 10-1 hands down" comment may have been in error, or the stats that you were using might be a bit skewed.....

FWIW the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition asks for ingredients and yeast on the entry form...

back to topic - I prefer dry, mainly because my main styles (IPAs, APAs, and Graff) go so well with US-05 or Notty.

Plus I'm 200 miles away from a LHBS and shipping liquid yeast to Arizona is pretty much out of the question for 9 months out of the year.

As for cost - sadly dry is starting to creep up in price ---> $3.39 for US-05 at AHS now :mad:

:off: please take the who has a bigger "yeast" debates to another thread. I come to HBT because we all usually get along, or at least debate beer related topics in a friendly and respectful manner, and quite honestly, some of the latter parts of this thread have made me shake my head in disgust.

I think Evan! has said it best in the debate forum - (paraphrasing) if someone calls you out to explain your side of the story, do it with intelligence and facts; not sarcasm and personal attacks....

So we aren't "podunk" homebrewers here. Nor am I...And fyi, John Palmer began his homebrewing experience in Michigam as well.

All we were getting at was that perhaps your "Liquid Yeast wins 10-1 hands down" comment may have been in error, or the stats that you were using might be a bit skewed.....

I never said anything bad about Michigan or you. You're the one who jumped on me for some reason. I suppose, because I say award winning beers are brewed with liquid yeast 10-1 over dry.

Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2009 issue.

First place winning beer recipes published

Liquid yeast-23
Dry yeast-0

I feel certain that 2nd and 3rd place winners are similar...All-grain over extract was overwhelming too.

FWIW the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition asks for ingredients and yeast on the entry form...

I entered that competition 3 times...won 2 1st & a 3rd.

I don't enter as much anymore and that's one I dropped off my list. Real nice folks though...

Since I'm independently wealthy, I didn't think of that. My sincere apologies.

Haha I almost forgot about this thread, but this is just classic and seems to fit in pretty perfectly w/ sundowner's overall demeanor towards everybody in this thread.

And since when does being wealthy have to do w/ what your time costs you? If anything, it just means the extra time is in fact more expensive for you since you could be doing something more useful/profitable w/ your time.

I was smart enough to get out of the stock market at the top of the tech boom.

I brew by moonlight & starlight..."Blame it on midnight. Shame on the moon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back