small measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty tough to measure volume with a scale, so I can see your dilemma. ;)

1/5 and 1/4 teaspoons are such tiny amounts, depending on what ingredient it is you could probably just eyeball it. I have a measuring spoon set that has a 1/4tsp measure though, so I'm sure you can find them if you look around (though not 1/5tsp I'm sure).

Teaspoons are volume and grams are mass. Plus, if you have a scale that measures to 1 gram accurately, that is equivalent to about 1/28th of an ounce. That's pretty small.

Is what you are measuring liquid? One drop of H2O is about 0.05 ml. There are about 5 ml in a tsp. That would mean you are looking for about 1/4 of a ml. So, about 4-6 drops should get you there.

What are you measuring in that small of an increment? Are you trying to work out olllllllo's one bottle brew?

Accurate milligram scales can start to get pricy.
So if the amount is not absolutely critical. You could measure out your 1/4 tsp. Dump it out on a flat surface. The easy way would be take a razor blade and divide it in half, than take each half and divide that in half again. That gets you ballpark 1/4 of 1/4tsp. You could achieve the same result measuring 1/8tsp and then dumping it and dividing it in half. Is the amount of nutrient that critical, or can the yeasties benefit from a bit extra?

Back