Manufactured HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Is there a pre manufactured HERMS setup that anyone is selling? I thought I remembered a post a while back where there was one that was being used for test batches by some micro brewerys. Price is no object.

Is there a pre manufactured HERMS setup that anyone is selling? I thought I remembered a post a while back where there was one that was being used for test batches by some micro brewerys. Price is no object.

I believe Stone Brewery uses a fully digital level 1 from B3 for sample batches.

I really have to question whether or not you really understand what it is you are looking for?

You specifically call for a HERMS based system but assert that the RIMS system is what you were looking for. While they do both facilitate the making of beer and stabilize mash temps I can;t help to wonder if you really know "why" you'd want the Sabco.

I am not trying to sway you from one, they are in fact awesome but, it sure is a chunk of change for something you don't seem to understand.

Early tax return or hidden vacation money burning a hole in his pocket.
Money no object, some people have too much money.
Question I have will the bier taste better from a $6,000 plus
unit vs a home built unit?
There are some very ingenious, intelligent and talented members on this forum. They can create
brewing systems that are a lot less exspensive
besides better built as far as i've seen over the years.

You guys crack me up. I'm perfectly happy with my 5 and 10 gallon igloo mash tuns. Money is no object because its not mine. I have a friend that has never brewed a batch before and is talking about starting a brew pub. So I was just looking for the most expensive system to suggest as a "starter system".

I don't really know the difference between HERMS and RIMS because I've never bothered to research it. I'll probably never get something that nice. Its not that those systems aren't worth the money I just don't mind the work and variance between batches. It's kind of like the fact that I have a wood splitter but still split wood by hand sometimes.

You guys crack me up. I'm perfectly happy with my 5 and 10 gallon igloo mash tuns. Money is no object because its not mine. I have a friend that has never brewed a batch before and is talking about starting a brew pub. So I was just looking for the most expensive system to suggest as a "starter system".

I don't really know the difference between HERMS and RIMS because I've never bothered to research it. I'll probably never get something that nice. Its not that those systems aren't worth the money I just don't mind the work and variance between batches. It's kind of like the fact that I have a wood splitter but still split wood by hand sometimes.

It would be better for your "friend" to settle in on the volume of beer he intends to produce. A Brew pub is only half beer if you want a strong, steady, customer base. The other half is food.

Look at it like this;

If said friend intends to have say 4 beers on tap and has a floorplan with 60 seats and you figure 12 oz beer sales volume at a rate of 20% of the seat count per hour you are looking at 96 servings per 8 hour day or 672 a week.

5 gallons = 54 servings times 3 = 162 servings per half bbl. So, said friend would need to maintain at least 2 bbl a week production in this scenario. Meaning, he won't have time to run his restaurant if he is brewing the beer.

Now, those figures are very conservative too. Imagine if your friend had to produce 2 bbl a week of 4 styles of beer.

My point is, he'd be much better off with a higher capacity system than a Brew-Magic. The Brew-Magic would be better served for him to design beers on before he invests the materials into the larger capacity system.

Where does this friend looking to start a brewpub where money is no object live? I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would be happy to 'advise' him every step of the way. :D

Seriously though, I'd check out probrewer.com and their classified section. Over there, there are people selling a whole set of used brewhouse equipment in one deal. Of course, someone who's never brewed before would probably be lost in a fermentor they can crawl into.

Thanks for the probrewer.com idea, I'll pass it on. Again GilaMinumBeer, its not my money so I don't really give a rip. I was really just looking for the most expensive system to suggest as a joke to him.

Thanks for the probrewer.com idea, I'll pass it on. Again GilaMinumBeer, its not my money so I don't really give a rip. I was really just looking for the most expensive system to suggest as a joke to him.

Okay.

The MOST expensive Pilot system I have seen is;

pilot breweries

10 Gallon, IIRC, for a bargain price of $45,000.00 base price. Money being no object, anything less is for hobos.

Back