Will releasing the CO2 pressure in my cornie scrub away the hop aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
Hello,

My IPA is in the keg and carbing up as we speak. It's got a very nice, very assertive bitterness. There is also some hop flavor and aroma in there as well. The aroma is dissipating, but I'm thinking of dry-hopping it for the third time (this time in the keg). My only concern is in order to open the keg to put more hops in it, I'd have to release the pressure. The push of the escaping C02 gas could scrub away the little aroma that I have left, right? I don't know if it will be worth it so I don't know if I will do it.

Any experience or advice on whether or not I should release the pressure to add more whole-leaf hops? Obviously, in the future it would be good to do add my dry hopping before I begin carbing it. Live and learn, I guess.

Two more quickies:

1. I'm going to go with the marbles in a paint strainer bag idea that I saw on here. I will not attach it to the dip tube. Will this be an issue?
2. I'm dry-hopping it in a cold keg. From what I've read and heard (especially from Vinnie Cilurzo), dry-hopping is much less effective when done cold. Any experience with this?

Thanks!

How do you imagine that the aroma contained in the air-space gets into the glass from the dip-tube at the bottom of the keg? It doesn't, the aroma is already in the beer itself and releasing pressure to add hops and re-pressurising (not forgetting to purge) will have zero impact on your beer.

Back