ale yeast/temp with lagerish ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
Got a lot of german pilsener malt and pounds upon pounds of hallertau, tett, perle, and crystal hops. Was planning on brewing helles and dortmunders, as they are my favorite styles to brew. Thing is, I've moved to a different climate, and getting the wort to the right pitch temp isn't easy with my setup. Therminator chiller, and fridge for ferm temp control. 16gal batches in a conical.

I don't want to fuss with a second chiller and ice bath. My chamber can maintain lager ferm temps, but air cooling the conical cannot reasonably crash 75degF wort (seems the best I can do atm) to lager pitch temps. I can get the wort to 65degF by the evening of brew day, but doubt I can reach 48degF by the next morning. So... ales are in order.

What to brew? I can get any yeast, just stuck with the ingredients. Mainly stuck with the hops, only a sack or two of the malt. Help/thoughts? Not really interested in saison-ey funky beers. My best thoughts are to do english ales and make do with the hops I have.

Cheers!

Kölsch yeast. WLP029 or WY2565, different strains, but very similar. Both are very good and very clean at low temps. You can ferment colder than you would most ales and get a clean "lagerlike" profile, especially if you cold condition for a month or so.

Back