Worst style of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked beers really are an acquired taste. Try to get your hands on some Alaskan Smoked Porter. That's my favorite smoked beer ever. I find the Shrenkerla (spelling?) Rauchbier good with certain foods, but would never drink it alone.

I do not like American Hefes, especially the ones that come with fruit. I do however like the dark German Hefes with the banana esters.

I can't stand dopplebocks. Too much sweetness. I've hated every sip of salvator that I've ever had.

I'm ignorant to many beer styles but I try any label I have not seen before and I am slowly starting learn the styles. Through this I am starting to realize that I am not a big fan of a lot of belgians, mainly Abbeys and Tripels... Don't know why...

Smoked beers really are an acquired taste. Try to get your hands on some Alaskan Smoked Porter. That's my favorite smoked beer ever. I find the Shrenkerla (spelling?) Rauchbier good with certain foods, but would never drink it alone.

I just had the urbock last night! The malty bocky sweetness goes really really good with the smoke. i could drink a keg of it.

when I first started getting into beer I liked the sweeter things like ambers but then I learned to like IPAs and such. I'm trying to learn to like stouts but I'm having a very hard time of it.

Airborneguy said:

I have tried the Alaskan smoked porter and a few others and never really enjoyed any. I just don't like the flavor the smoked malt leaves in my mouth. I find this ironic since I really love smoked meats.

Not a style per se but I can't stand Pumpkin beers. A waste of good yeast IMHO.

hagelini said:
I'm not a huge fan of wheat beer. I also had a Sam Adams Imperial Stout which was supposed to be an example of a Russian Imperial, and I really hated that beer, I couldn't even finish the bottle so based on that example, I don't like imperial stouts either.

Don't use Sam Adams as a benchmark for a RIS. To make a true assessment, try something like old rasputin. If u hate that, then u hate RIS'

supe_kitchen said:
I have tried the Alaskan smoked porter and a few others and never really enjoyed any. I just don't like the flavor the smoked malt leaves in my mouth. I find this ironic since I really love smoked meats.

Go back in time and try Bert Grants Perfect Porter

Don't use Sam Adams as a benchmark for a RIS. To make a true assessment, try something like old rasputin. If u hate that, then u hate RIS'

I was hoping someone would bite...thank you! I will look for something like that.

I would add a caveat to any RIS benchmark. Almost every RIS I've tasted was better after at least 6 months of aging. I drank a fresh Ol' Rasputin in a growler. It wasn't my favorite. I tried one that I bought long ago (over 12 months) and I remembered why I love the style so much.

YMMV.

Hmmm, I guess I'm alone in liking at least one example of every style...

I'm really surprised my least favorite style hasn't been mentioned yet.

Of all the styles mentioned so far, I think they all have a redeeming quality. Even smoked beers which are right at the bottom of my preferred styles.

But even smoked beers aren't the worst. The worst, or at least the most consistently disgusting, is Gueuze. Sour, tart, dry, sharp, and nasty. I'm not saying all lambic styles are bad. I like many of them. Gueuze, however, really takes the cake in undrinkability.

And I want to take this opportunity to praise light american lagers in the negative light that was cast on them in the original post. They are excellent beers to have around, especially when you want to quench thirst. They deserve as much respect and admiration as any other beer.

I'm really trying hard to think of a style I don't like and I really can't. There's plenty of attempts at styles that I find horrid, but there's not a single style that I can completely write off. Even sour beers; I love them!

Hefe's, closely followed by Belgians.

Agreed. I was in Germany for a year and a half back in the 1800s, stuck with Alt and Pils. I haven't found a single wheat beer I really like. But who knows - I'm sure I'll try a few more.
I haven't found any Belgian beers I like - I think I just don't like the yeast.

Well, it's not a style but I just don't dig lagers. Every lager I have ever had, even a Vienna lager on tap right now, makes me dizzy instead of a mellow buzzed feeling like ales. Maybe there is no scientific reason why but lager yeast tends to mess with my equilibrium. This view is not taking in account taste. Some taste just fine, exccept Swartxbier. That's just a cruel way to mess with someone.

How do you feel about Dunkels? I recommend Mother Earth's Dark Cloud. That drinks nothing like a lager at all. And, I personally am not big on wheat beers. They're harsh to me.

To go in a different direction my least favorite style is IIPA. I realize that is not a popular view these days but just to much hops for my taste.

Belgian IPA

I try so hard to enjoy them. Houblon Chouffe is drinkable and I can enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. I have never really liked any other one I've tried, which is actually a decent number and variety.

Whatever style McEwan's is.

You sir, are hearby removed from my Kwanzaa Card list!!!

The only style I never seem to enjoy are Stouts, although I used to love a Guiness. Porters are usually not great to me (except Highland Oatmeal Porter), and Bierre de Guarde & marzen are sometimes too sweet.

You're either the oldest member of this forum or the most technologically savvy. Which is it?

I burst out laughing in class when I read this.

But to answer the question, I'm really not a fan of a lot of IIPAs that I've had. A lot are way too cloyingly sweet with caramel malts for my taste. There are some great ones I've had though, such as myrcenary and double jack. But I'm always wary whenever I'm trying a new one. Which is odd, because I absolutely love IPAs.

Not a style per se but I can't stand Pumpkin beers. A waste of good yeast IMHO.

not trying to sound arrogant, but have you had Southern Tier Pumpking? Easily, one of my favorite beers of all time. And i, like you, used to not care for pumpkin beer at all, i didn't see the attraction, but pumpking certainly fixed that

Hmmm, I guess I'm alone in liking at least one example of every style...

You're not alone in that, but in general I think most people have a style of beer they tend to avoid. I enjoy just about all beers, but when i go seeking my weekend libations, i will tend to avoid certain styles in favor of more preferred ones.

Agreed. I was in Germany for a year and a half back in the 1800s, stuck with Alt and Pils. I haven't found a single wheat beer I really like. But who knows - I'm sure I'll try a few more.
I haven't found any Belgian beers I like - I think I just don't like the yeast.

1800's huh? wow, you must be old as $h!t.....and wise, I respect the old wiseman

Belgian IPA

I try so hard to enjoy them. Houblon Chouffe is drinkable and I can enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. I have never really liked any other one I've tried, which is actually a decent number and variety.

Understandable....tho have you tried Flying Dog Raging *****....this beer helped me get over that hump...

To go in a different direction my least favorite style is IIPA. I realize that is not a popular view these days but just to much hops for my taste.

To be completely honest, it's an acquired taste. You're right, IPAs are trending right now. But its not without merit. I used to not be a big fan of overly hopped beers, but your palette adjusts. For me, the gateway brew was Lagunitas Undercover Investigator Shutdown. I've always liked malty brews, but Lagunitas does such an amazing job balancing their beers that you get the best of both worlds and before long, i wanted more hops (much to my surprise)

The problem with asking for "worst style" is that I (and I'm sure at least a handful of others) would say there is no worst style... there are just bad examples of styles. I really can't think of a single style of which there isn't one example I like.

i totally agree with this. i have yet to meet a beer style that i don't like, just certain examples of a style may not be to my liking. i find if a beer is well crafted and brewed to a particular style, i tend to enjoy it. granted, certain styles are hard for certain folks to acquire a taste for, it took me a long time to enjoy lambics, for instance, but after trying some well brewed examples and acquiring a taste for their tartness, i love 'em.
like you, Reno, i can't think of a style of beer that i don't like at least one example of. :mug:

I don't care for many belgian style beers. I like the dry yeast styles. Ilike lagers and pilsners too.

Dubbels and tripels are completely undrinkable for me.

Go Sox,
cds

I have to ask, does anyone else get any allergic reaction to sour beers? I have enjoyed several versions of sour beers, but I almost always get plugged up sinuses similar to when I am around cats. It usually passes quick, and I am only really allergic to cats (I could roll in poison ivy and not have a problem). Just wondering if this effects anyone else like this.

I have to ask, does anyone else get any allergic reaction to sour beers? I have enjoyed several versions of sour beers, but I almost always get plugged up sinuses similar to when I am around cats. It usually passes quick, and I am only really allergic to cats (I could roll in poison ivy and not have a problem). Just wondering if this effects anyone else like this.

i get that sinus-y thing from anything that's really sour. even grapefruit juice. it's like a warm, tight feeling in the sinuses, right? lambics get me the worst, but i still love 'em. i just don't drink them a lot and never drink more than one in an evening.

Back