first batch with concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingcop

Reaction score
I am in the process of my first batch (mirror pond ale clone) We starting foaming and fermenting on the 2nd day. The foam is what concerns me the most. There is a layer that appears to resemble normal beer foam, but there is also a slightly dark layer atop of the regular layer. Does this mean my batch is contaminated? Thanks for any help.

That layer if crud is called 'krausen'. it is a normal part of your primary fermentation. It will be time to rack the beer to a clearing tank when the krausen falls out and fermentation slows down. This takes a weekish, depending on lots of things. Did you ake an initial gravity reading?

I remember when I first saw the brown deposits on top of the krausen, and thought the beer had been contaminated. I came to these forums and made a thread similar to this one. The paranoia will soon disappear, I think it's a lot harder to mess a batch up than you think (All mine have been great so far) when you first start out. My lastest batch has tons of the stuff, I embrace it :) RDWHAHB :mug:

Back