First yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I have made my first yeast starter which was pretty easy, but i was wondering if when i go to pitch it do I need to shake it up or just leave the yeast settled on the bottom and pour it in. Sounds like a stupid question but i was just wondering. I didn't know if the yeast layer on the bottom of my beaker was going to be so thick that it doesnt want to come out?

I would decant (pour off most of the liquid) leave enough to swirl the yeast off the bottom of your beaker and just pour it in the fermenter with the beer, good luck:mug:

thanks, so your saying to throw away most of the liquid, so only the yeast is going in the wort right? Just enough liquid to make the yeast come out good. Thanks again

Yeah. Leaving it in the fridge overnight settles enough of the yeast on the bottom you can SLOWLY decant the liquid off until you are about to get yeast, then swirl swiftly and DUMP the cake into the fermenter.

Some pitch the whole thing.
Some discard most of the liquid and pitch the sediment.

If I make a 1 liter starter, I prefer to pitch the whole starter at high kraeusen (peak activity) about 24 hours later.

If I make a 2 liter starter, I prefer to pitch the slurry (sediment) and just enough liquid to make it pourable.
Cool in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours to get all of the yeast on the bottom, pour off most of the clear liquid, then allow to warm up to room temp before swirling and pitching.

The clear liquid doesn't really have any good flavors, 1 liter is about the most you can add to 5 gal without detrimental effects.

Edit: The above applies to starters made from liquid yeast.
If you're using dry yeast, re-hydrate in 1/2 cup previously boiled and cooled water at about 90*F. Wait 15 minutes, stir, and pitch the whole deal.

I use a home-made stir plate to keep the yeast in suspension as much as I can. What I have done in the past was use a malt extract that would be the same as the the extract in the beer I was making and pour the whole starter in the primary.

If I was to use a malt extract that wasn't the same (or anywhere close), I would turn my stir plate off the day before the brew. Put the starter in the fridge to drop the yeast to the bottom. Then an hour or so before I was done brewing I would get the yeast out to warm up a little. Then, when it came time to pitch, carefully pour most of the excess liquid off the top of the yeast leaving enough to swirl with the yeast and pour into the fermenter.

If you don't use a stir plate, the yeast will probably be settled at the bottom by the time you pitch. So the cooling process will not be needed.

ooppss i think i messed up then, i saw a video where a guy used 32oz of water and a cup of extract for his starter, so I used 16oz water with a half cup DME. Can anyone give me advice on what i should do with the way i did this starter, the yeasties are munchin as we speak, bubbles every 30 seconds. only 2 hours in

You are fine, let is run its course. Pitch within the next two - three days and you will be fine.

If you think you messed up because of my stir plate comment, then you're OK!

A stir plate is a device that constantly stirs the starter so the yeast stays in suspension more and then multiplies more. It is not necessary but is pretty easy to make your own and helps produce a better starter.

I was actually concerned with how i made the starter, 16oz water half cup dme and yeast, but i think everything will be ok, i am RDWHA-EDWorts Apfelwein, having my first one out of my first batch and its awesome

yeah I don't have any homebrew left from my first batch so im having a edworts apfelwein and chasing it with a Widmer Hefe, lol, yep im gonna get drunk probaly

Latest posts

Back