Beer tastes thin/watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcara

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would not consider myself a beginner brewer, but I feel my question is a beginner question (if that even makes sense..).

Anyhow, I brewed a clone of Magic Hat #9 about 2 1/2 weeks ago from the Can You Brew It recipe. Everything went well and I kegged late Saturday night and added my apricot extract to flavor. At this point, I thought it tasted wonderful, even though it was warm and uncarbonated.

I put the CO2 up to 20 because I am having a big BBQ saturday and want this beer to be on with my other 5 brews I have on tap (just added 2 more taps to the keezer). So, while I am not concerned about the beer in the long run, right now it isn't getting a head yet (which is fine) but it also tastes watery/thin now compared to how it tasted before I put it into the keezer. What could cause this? I am assuming it just needs conditioning and will be fine over some time, but was really hoping for this beer to be on for Saturday.

definitely wait until it's fully carbonated for a few days. cold, partially carbonated magic hat #9 clone (or any mild beer) will definitely taste thin and watery

definitely wait until it's fully carbonated for a few days. cold, partially carbonated magic hat #9 clone (or any mild beer) will definitely taste thin and watery

I just did an Oktoberfest that tasted a bit watery when I bottled, and it turned out great! Im sure the Magic Hat clone will do the same.

Yep, as you're already noticing, warm flat beer has flavor. Cold, flat beer is going to be thin. Cold, carbonated beer...:cross:

Carbonation bite. it happened to me all the time when I would crank up the co2 levels and couldn't wait until it all dissolved in. once it absorbs the flavor should improve.

I've had a similar problem with my beers. I recently started checking og and everything, only to find that my efficiency was really low. Up to 15 points under the expected OG. Could this cause watery beer too? It makes sense, but my first Mr Beer kits were very low og, although they weren't great, the definitely we not watery.

Thoughts?

Back