Anybody use Skype?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to Germany next month and since I can't use my Galaxy S3, I'd like to try Skype. I really don't want to rent a Verizon phone like I did last time. I'm trying to keep away from fees and charges if I can. Anybody use it?

FWIW there are a bunch of open-source alternatives to Skype. Skype won't release how they encrypt calls, and they won't say if/when they allow surveillance of your calls by authorities. If those aren't concerns for you, Skype is fine.

I've used free Skype off and on since 2005 and still use it. Got the app for my Android and you can talk anywhere there's wifi. If you feel like going pay you can get Skype out to call phones. I'm no security expert and haven't heard anything on the subject since 2007 but it seems secure enough. Don't do anything to warrant arrest or surveillance and don't talk about it over IP or land line phones.

I use it at least weekly to videoconference with my son on the other side of the continent. We like it. It does what we want it to do.

I've used free Skype off and on since 2005 and still use it. Got the app for my Android and you can talk anywhere there's wifi. If you feel like going pay you can get Skype out to call phones. I'm no security expert and haven't heard anything on the subject since 2007 but it seems secure enough. Don't do anything to warrant arrest or surveillance and don't talk about it over IP or land line phones.

If no one monitors it, I am sure no one will find a reason to arrest or question. I am pretty sure it is monitored. Don't say certain words and you will be fine.

I use it on my S2 now and then. Works fine. Uses quite a bit of batteries, but my S2 seems to suck down the juice anyway to Sunday. If you have long conversations it might be a good idea to bring along your charger.

I reccomend getting a google voice number, its awesome. you can text etc right from the web browser. www.google.com/voice - you get a telephone number people can call and leave messages. A lot of features like call forwarding are free and voice mail to text transcription. check it out!

i have actually completly switched over to google voice, i dont give any one my real cell number any more. the advantages of google voice are huge!

Back