Cascades in Key West

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im starting this thread to document my 1st season of growing hops. I started them from a crown that I planted in early March. Im looking forward to drinking a homebrew made with organic homegrown hops!!!!

These were taken in late march cant remember the date. I do remember the sprouts broke ground on St. Patricks Day. Im using a basic Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil with a mix of organic compost and plant tone. I also water with the water I change out of my turtle tank. Plants love it.

Hops1.jpg

Hops2.jpg

Hops3.jpg

This pic was taken 5-9-12. I dont have a lot of room in my yard so I got a 5-6ft trellis and put it up against the lattice fencing on my back porch. The bines dont mind though they still grow up, you just have to go back and weave them.

Hops 5:9:12.jpg

Im starting this thread to document my 1st season of growing hops. I started them from a crown that I planted in early March. Im looking forward to drinking a homebrew made with organic homegrown hops!!!!

I thought you said in a different thread that you had cones already. Those are the pics I want to see :) By the way, I have baby cones on my Cascades now. Aren't they cute :fro:

img6486hk.jpg

More pics from 5-30-12.... One of the bines stopped growing any longer but is putting out a really awesome cone on the tip. Its like 3 diff cones.

Hop Cone.jpeg

Hop cone tip.jpeg

I was wondering for the longest time if I would ever get cones. You're right about noticing the daily growth. My plants are growing like crazy now. It's amazing.

Where did you get the crown from? You
mentioned plant tone. I'm not familiar with this. Could you elaborate a bit. If this is the secret to your success.... well maybe I need to get on board. Do you plan to move to the ground or will pots be the final place?

Where did you get the crown from? You
mentioned plant tone. I'm not familiar with this. Could you elaborate a bit. If this is the secret to your success.... well maybe I need to get on board. Do you plan to move to the ground or will pots be the final place?

Theirjo was kick ass and sent it to me in trade for a variety pack of homebrew. If theres any "secret" its gotta be my turtles water from tank changes. The water has perfect ph balance, dechlorinated, and is full of great micro organisms plants seem to love. The plant tone is just a basic fertilizer that I use for my Trinidad Scorpion, Datil, and Charleston peppers. I use it minimally and just have it to make sure my plants are getting a rounded diet. I dont think I will go in ground because you cant dig a foot here without hitting coral rock. So I figure next season I will get it a nice big pot it can be hoppy in. Heres a few pics of the plant tone label.....

Plant tone.jpeg

planttone.jpeg

As a side project in hope for bigger future yields..... Once I got the 4 bines I wanted I didnt just clip the new sprouts. When they broke the surface if they looked really good and strong I dug down, very gently following the sprout about 5 inches deep and clipped it there. I then took the clipping and planted it in the ground so that just the part that broke surface was above ground. I did this with 3 but only one survived and is growing into its own crown effectively cloning the plant I was given. I plan on letting it grow then digging up the crown to see how much it established.

Cascade clone 1.jpeg

cascadeclone 2.jpeg

I'll see if I can get some good closeups of my cones tomorrow... some of them are starting to get sandy frosty with swelling lupulin glands. They should start smelling wonderful soon.

Last year at Key West Brew Fest the guys from FIU were telling us they have been messing around with varieties to see what grows the best in So. Florida.

Theirjo was kick ass and sent it to me in trade for a variety pack of homebrew. If theres any "secret" its gotta be my turtles water from tank changes. The water has perfect ph balance, dechlorinated, and is full of great micro organisms plants seem to love. The plant tone is just a basic fertilizer that I use for my Trinidad Scorpion, Datil, and Charleston peppers. I use it minimally and just have it to make sure my plants are getting a rounded diet. I dont think I will go in ground because you cant dig a foot here without hitting coral rock. So I figure next season I will get it a nice big pot it can be hoppy in. Heres a few pics of the plant tone label.....

I also use the same Plant-tone along with some fish emulsion. I'm betting the turtle water is a lot like fish emulsion. I like your pic of the egg/cone size comparison. Nice.

Yea the 2 are pretty much the same thing. Except the tank water has beneficial bacteria in it that turn the harmful nitrates into a more life friendly form and help keep ammonia levels low. Otherwise, all the same goodies plants love.

The bine tip I posted a close up earlier in the thread has turned into the pic on the left(pic taken today). And the other pic is of the cone on the end of another bine....

Tip cone 6-6-12.jpeg

Tip cone2..6-6-12.jpeg

Blows me away to see hops growing in the keys. Not only growing but, flowering. What ever it is, your nuclear turtle water or just an amazing green thumb, keep doing what your doing.
I agree with you about planting in ground. Next year I wanna make a raised planter box and a better trellis system now that I know it will grow. My soil is terrible and I'd rather not dig it all up and refill it.
I'm using the fish emulsion as well as a low dose liquid feed with the micro-nutrients. Seems to be going well so far. Just rains like crazy lately. Hopefully I'll get some burrs soon.

Blows me away to see hops growing in the keys. Not only growing but, flowering. What ever it is, your nuclear turtle water or just an amazing green thumb, keep doing what your doing.
I agree with you about planting in ground. Next year I wanna make a raised planter box and a better trellis system now that I know it will grow. My soil is terrible and I'd rather not dig it all up and refill it.
I'm using the fish emulsion as well as a low dose liquid feed with the micro-nutrients. Seems to be going well so far. Just rains like crazy lately. Hopefully I'll get some burrs soon.

Thanks man!!!

...How long are your bines? Like I mentioned, mine seemed to start coning once the bine hit about 10 ft or so. And are you using the fish emulsion as a foliar feed or a systemic? As far as for the planter box, just make sure whatever soil mix you end up using your getting good drainage. That will help make sure the rain doesnt drown out the crown but will also let the soil retain the moisture it wants/needs. If you know ahead of time where youd like to plant I'd set up and feed the soil for a couple months before you put the hops in. If you start enough ahead of time you can make that terrible soil awesome and fertile.

I've got two cascade plants. One is close to 8' or 9'. The other is about face level; say 5'. I use the fish emulsion every other week and some low dose feeding nutrients with a pump sprayer and drench the soil. My soil mix in the pots I have drains quite well so, I'm gonna do the same for the planter. Stole the design from Gridlock, another member here. I really liked the look. I will transplant the cascade sometime this winter when things slow down. That way like you said, they will be ready for next year. It's just been raining hard and steady for the past 3 days. When it clears I'll shoot some new pics. That is if my hops don't go all Noah's ark on me. DRENCHED!
Hope to see the start of cones soon. I'm waiting for the 10' mark. Very close

image-1914505406.jpg

image-378656273.jpg

I like the planter box. They should be fine we got about 3 days of heavy rain down here and mine seemed to make it through alright. Though afterwards I let the soil dry a little deeper than usual before I started my normal watering routine again. Make sure to check for spider mites and other unwanted guests because of all the rain. They started showing up under some of my older leaves after the squall.

The girls are hanging in there. Everything seems to be good besides a few leaves that were torn during the wind. I won't be watering for a good bit. I think they need to dry out for awhile.
Through it all, they have held strong and I believe in the last picture.... Maybe the start of a cone. That plant has got to be 10' at least.

image-2198081182.jpg

image-4161368157.jpg

image-716985714.jpg

image-1208703377.jpg

image-4152404278.jpg

That last pic looks like a cone starting. The bines look really healthy too, I wouldn't change a thing. Do you have any small growth between the leaves and the bines starting? That's where you gotta watch for cones, though by the look.... Yours are about the length of mine when I first saw cone development.

Right in the crack between the main bine and a large leaf is where the sprout is forming. Looks different them the other side arms around so, I pretty sure it's gonna be a cone. Time to switch the fertilizer schedule a bit and start pumping out cones!
I should probably look into buying a vacuum sealer. If year one produces anything.... Year two will be a monster!

(not my hops.... Yet. Just using the pic for dramatics)

image-4280919796.jpg

Those small things are cones, congrats!! I dont know about switching up the ferts though. I read that by this time the plant is already storing its energy back into the crown for overwintering. And that any nutes wont go to hop development, and will also not flush out of the hops before harvest. I dont know how true this is though, im still trying to find more reliable info.

Never heard that. New to me. Sounds true. I was gonna put some high phos bat shat on top of the soil and switch to the bloom formula in the series I'm using. No big changes. Just "follow the recipe" as I've heard. I'm pumped up. Guess I should start planning a dry hopped cascade something or other beer. Where did you find the info for the hop wintering and flushing? I'd like to read more about this subject.

Im trying to search for it and all im seeing is to do that with hops cousin plant. I actually found this http://***********/component/resource/article/1926-growing-hops-in-containers It says they added 1/4 cup bone meal once the bines started flowering.

I read this article before hand. Has some real good info and I used it as a guide to start. Found a research paper regarding hop nutrient requirements from Oregon state university. Most of the findings were generalized and seeming to be more of a basic what to expect type of tone. Have yet to find a detailed layout of how, what, when and amounts of specific nutrients to use so, I'm following a rudimentary plant feeding schedule advised from my local organics supplier. Being that both hops and maryjane are in the same family order, I assume " what's good for the goose is good for the gander".
I'll look into it more and verify. I feel if I'm going to grow a species of plant not native to this climate and in a container, supplements and care are a necessity. I maybe over doing it..... wouldn't be the first time.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/fg/fg79-e.pdf

I know most plants burn more phosphorus and calcium during flowering. But I seem to remember hops burn mostly nitrogen the whole time IIRC. I'll find where I saw it and post it.

Started getting some sidearm growth over the past couple days. Along with having more new cones on my bines, the sidearms should get loaded with hops. These were the biggest ones so far....

Hops Sidearm1.jpg

Hops Sidearm 2.jpg

Where did you buy your hop rhizomes? I'm looking to start growing hops in Central Florida and I think Cascades would be the best place to start. Would it be too late to start planting them this year?

Back