Tripel-time period to allow for carbonation in the bottle before lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherburn

Reaction score
Hello,

AG batch of Jamils Strict Observance Tripel. Per his instructions, carb in bottle and then lager for a month at 40-45F. I primed with sugar, bottled, and have held them for 2 weeks at 72F (temp based on priming nomograph/specified carb volumes). My question is how much longer if any should I wait before starting the lager phase?

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Probably depends on a lot of things. My first tripel was very clear to begin with. It carbed, but it took a couple of months to reach full carbonation (which is to say ALOT). I don't think you're going to know until you actually try one. Theres no way to guess at carbonation by looking at it.

I say wait 1-2 weeks more. Put one bottle in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. Crack it open and see how it is.

Also I'm curious as to this lager phase. Is that to mellow out some of the flavors since it has not been aged for very long? I find that they get better over at least 6 months. But that has to be done at cellar or room temp, or it will slow down the aging process.

Hello solbes,

Thank you for your input. I chilled one and drank it yesterday. Indeed it was carbed, but how do you measure if it is fully carbed by tasting? (It did taste good, but was a little cloudy like a "La Fin du Mond") I primed according to nomograph to hit app. 3.25 volumes of carbonation.

Regarding your question regarding the lagering phase, I am following Jamil's instructions as found on page 240 of "Brewing Classic Styles". I can't really expound on the benefits as I don't know. Perhaps someone else has some insight? I did contact Jamil for clarification if one is bottle carbing instead of using a keg system, here is his reply verbatim, "Allow the beer to carbonate warm, then let sit cold for a month AFTER it has carbonated."

Regards,

Okay, that makes a little more sense. I'm no expert like Jamil, but I would maybe wait 2-4 more weeks to assure your bottles are fully carbed. Do this at 70+ if possible.

Then add as many bottles as you think you might drink in the NEXT 2 months to the fridge. Wait a month to drink the first ones. As you drink a few, add a few to the fridge keeping a "First In, First Out" inventory going.

It's totally up to you of course, but I would shoot for trying to save the bulk of the batch for 6+ months of cellar temp aging. I think you will thank yourself down the road by being patient. If you know you're going to like them a lot, start planning another Tripel so the aging process is easier.

Back