StarSan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
I used a spray bottle with Star San last week and did not use all of it. It's still sitting in the bottle...diluted. Will it still be effective this week from that spray bottle or do I need to dump and dilute a fresh bottle full with hot water / stasan for my brew this weekdend?

thx

I think it will be fine. I that all the time. If you're concerned you can check the ph. I believe their website lists the effective ph range.

A general rule is if it is still clear, it is good. Cloudy is bad. Stability will depend on the makeup water. If your tap water is alkaline, the solution will go bad faster. I make my dilutions with distilled water and use it for a month or more.

Revvy - It was tap water.....I've got a Gallon of distilled for my Humidor though so maybe I'l mix up a new batch and put a date on it.

The price of pH strips is as much as 100's of litres of star-san. I will just make a fresh batch when it goes cloudy.

I dilute mine at the recommended dosage with distilled water and check the PH level each time I reuse it, and mine stays 3 or below for months. I have a batch that I made on 1/7/11 and its still at an effective PH range as of today 3/12/11.

Just curious, but would the same strategy work for Iodophor?

No iirc correctly iodophors are not acid based therefore the ph of it is irrevelent. Go by color, if it goes from straw to clear, it has ceased to be effective.

You'll find a lot of good info/tips to effective sanitization here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ . In there are links to the basic brewing episode on effect iodophor usage as well as a great pdf on sanitizing with iodophor in the food service industry.

I used a spray bottle with Star San last week and did not use all of it. It's still sitting in the bottle...diluted. Will it still be effective this week from that spray bottle or do I need to dump and dilute a fresh bottle full with hot water / stasan for my brew this weekdend?

thx

I only brew Spring & Fall. In between, my existing batch of Star San mix sits in the gallon jug and also in the spray bottle. I have never thrown it out and made fresh, I only make it when I need more. I have never had a problem doing it this way.

Latest posts

Back