Can yeast settle out "completely"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to have yeast settle out of a secondary so much so that there is not sufficient yeast for carbonating? I have an English Ale that had a good 2.4 trub in the secondary after 3 days and another 1/4 inch of trub in the secondary after 7 days before I "carefully" racked the beer into a bottling tub. By carefully I mean I tried very hard not to suck any "goo" off the bottom into the tertiary for bottling. I used slightly more tha 1/2 a cup of CS and have the bottles sitting in 64 degrees for 8 days now and no sign of carbonation.

Is it possible that the (English Ale Dry packet) yeast is....gone?

It would be a shame. :(

The beer is a beautiful amber and despite no bubbles, has a nice bitters flavor to it.

Kalvin

Yeah, the cooler the temp, the longer it will take to carbonate. My first few batches were around 74ºF and carbonated in a week, although they didn't taste that great yet. Now that it's winter they're sitting the mid 60s and taking a couple weeks at least. Patience, always with the patience.

Thanks a ton. I haven't brewed in years and now that I'm back at it (as of 4 weeks ago) I'm up to brewing my fourth batch tonight.

Maybe it's being couped up in this winter weather along with my adult onset of ADHD that has me restlessly looking to my next batch each weekend. If drinking the stuff is half the fun that brewing it is...I'm in for an awesome spring. :ban:

Biermann said:
NO way. There's still millions of yeast in suspension. Warm em up and agitate them a little. It'll go eventually.

Should I agitate the secondary just a little before racking to the bottling tub? My stout, although black as oil, looks very "clean" with just about 1/8th inch of sediment on the bottom.

KalvinEddie said:
Should I agitate the secondary just a little before racking to the bottling tub? My stout, although black as oil, looks very "clean" with just about 1/8th inch of sediment on the bottom.
Wouldn't hurt. With highly flocculent strains, I will do this prior to bottling.

Back