clearing agents in wheat beers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianNorth

Reaction score
I am making my first hefeweizen. For most beers I would use a clearing agent.
I am assuming that one should NOT use a clearing agent with wheat beers??

Typically you would not use a clearing agent. Some people even add things to keep it cloudy. And many wheat beer drinkers swirl the yeast that it settled on the bottom of bottles back into suspension for additional flavor resulting in cloudy beer. Then there is 'Kristallweizen' which is filtered wheat beer that is meant to be clear (although from what I read this removes some flavors).

Like all things you make, it is ultimately up to you, but it is one style that is absolutely acceptable to being cloudy.

I brewed a Belgian Wit with something like 6 lbs of wheat and 5 lbs of pilsner and used a teaspoon of irish moss in the boil and the thing is still really hazy/cloudy 3 weeks in the bottle. I had your same worry but really all it seemed to do was get rid of stuff i didn't want in the beer (trub) without affecting the hazy style that i did want

For my wheat beers I do not use a clearing agent and go for a cloudy body. However, one of the local breweries near me has a wheat beer that is very clear. Still has great flavor. Been meaning to try to grab a minute of the head-brewers time to pick his brain about it but haven't had the chance.

Great thing about homebrewing is you can experiment with this kind of stuff, and even if it doesn't turn out how you wanted, you still made beer!

I usually add irish moss to the boil of my wheat beers it helps get the stuff i dont want out of there. It seems to leave the yeast alone.

I accidentally added irish moss to my last wheat beer. Force of habit, had 15 minutes left in the boil and tossed it in like I do to all my beers. It's still fairly cloudy. I don't do anything to clear my wheat on purpose.

Back