Thicker head? Smaller head bubbles? how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondoggie

Reaction score
My beers tend to have larger head bubbles, and not the thick, creamy, even lumpy head I associate with my favorite bought beers... The head lasts long enough, and there's nice lacing as I drink, but the bubble size is generally more what I associate with soda than with beer.

Brewing full boils, extract w/ steeping grains, immersion chiller, usually irish moss, 3wk primary, secondary if I'm feeling sassy, usually 4+ weeks in the bottle.

Ideas? or am I just nuts? :confused:

or am I just nuts? :confused:

Probably. But don't worry you're in good company.

I used to use DME to bottle, thinking that the bubbles were smaller and the head thicker. Lately I've been using corn sugar and it gives me a cleaner taste quicker and the head seems just fine though *maybe* bigger bubbles.

Have you tried DME?

Could be a lot of things. Malts, hops, yeast it all impacts the look and retention of the head. You might start with your yeast. Different yeast promotes different head types.

Well known method, but works amazingly. If you can, mash 200g/half a pound or so of flaked wheat. Whether that is by mini mashing or whatever technique you can use, it gives an almost draught head.

My beers tend to have larger head bubbles, and not the thick, creamy, even lumpy head I associate with my favorite bought beers... The head lasts long enough, and there's nice lacing as I drink, but the bubble size is generally more what I associate with soda than with beer.

Brewing full boils, extract w/ steeping grains, immersion chiller, usually irish moss, 3wk primary, secondary if I'm feeling sassy, usually 4+ weeks in the bottle.

Ideas? or am I just nuts? :confused:

I've heard good things about this product:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/munton-s-kreamy-x-7-oz.html

I'm going to give it a try on my next bottling day...

Back