Two in a row. Airlocks to the ceiling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Well something has changed in my fermentations. I've NEVER had a plugged airlock or a blown lid but now it's happening.

I have started rehydrating my yeast and I made a pretty big beer this last time but not that big 1.069.

Should I start fermenting in something else so I don't have to deal with this? I'm just using the standard Ale Pale.

Do most of you use a carboy with a blow-off now a days?? The bucket has always worked well but now I'm sick of cleaning off the ceiling and worrying about a lid flying off.:cross:

Solution: FermcapS.

What is the fermentation temperature?

I've replaced all my ale pail lids with sheets of plexiglass; makes it easier to monitor the ferment and there's no airlock stem to clog.

Fire 1!

Fire 2!

In 3 years of brewing I had only used a airlock the first 5 or 6 brews.

Now a days, I just lay the lid over the top of the bucket and set the bucket inside a diswashing bin for easier cleanup.

+1 to pictures

Stop using an airlock for the first week of fermentation. Either put the lid on loosely or use a blow off. put your pale in a cooler or something else as you will still get an occasional "boil over".

When you use a blow off with the pail, do you just stick the blow off tube into the same grommet that the airlock would use? If so, what size tubing fits?

Thanks.

Ron

Pretty sure it's 3/8" hose. I just put it a little way into the grommet so I get top foam that's causing the pressure. I run my blow off tube into a spray bottle half full of starsan solution. Works great.

I just control my fermenting temperature to hang in the mid 60's and no longer see the crazy activity. Thar she blows = less beer!

What is the fermentation temperature?

I've replaced all my ale pail lids with sheets of plexiglass; makes it easier to monitor the ferment and there's no airlock stem to clog.

You just lay a square piece of plexiglass on top of the bucket?? Or has it been cut to fit the top? I like this idea but please elaborate just a little.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

I love this stuff, especially in starters and the boil. It seems enough carries over into the fermenter that I don't get the huge foaming krausen anymore.

I don;t use airlocks much anymore. A carboy cap with a thermometer down it and foil over the other hole works just fine for me, thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

I love this stuff, especially in starters and the boil. It seems enough carries over into the fermenter that I don't get the huge foaming krausen anymore.

I don;t use airlocks much anymore. A carboy cap with a thermometer down it and foil over the other hole works just fine for me, thanks.

So using this in the boil will actually prevent the foaming in the fermenter?? I've never heard that before. Pretty cool.

Are there any negative possibilities to using the FermentS?

You just lay a square piece of plexiglass on top of the bucket?? Or has it been cut to fit the top? I like this idea but please elaborate just a little.

Yep - a square that overhangs the bucket by a few inches. Nothing fancy at all. It can be easily sanitized, and I don't have to fight with those blasted lids. Once the kräusen has fallen, I'll replace it with the normal lid and airlock while the beer conditions in primary.

I ferment on the cold side for just about everything, and I've never had a batch blow off other than a 1.100 barleywine (and I even used foam control drops).

I'd just use a blow-off from the beginning if it's become a problem.

I'd second the recommendation to just leave the lid loosely on - British brewers have done these semi open or open fermentations for centuries without issue. So much C02 is being kicked off, nothing's gonna get in there unless you open it and cough or sneeze.

I have a few airlocks that I cut the "nipple" back a touch and used a paper hole punch to add a few larger diameter holes to the cap.. Occasionally I will get a particularly vigorous fermentation but it just runs through the airlock..

i too had this problem when i started brewing. At first i just left the airlock off the 1st 48 hrs then I switched to blow off.......blow off for the big beeers are the way to go.......:mug:

Maybe I am just a throw back, but a big three foot piece of 1" tube in the end of the carboy with the other end in a bucket is what I have always done and still do. After activity dies down, airlock goes in, tube and bucket get washed.

Easy Easy, Cheap Cheap.

Maybe I am just a throw back, but a big three foot piece of 1" tube in the end of the carboy with the other end in a bucket is what I have always done and still do. After activity dies down, airlock goes in, tube and bucket get washed.

Easy Easy, Cheap Cheap.

Here here.....Absolutely
:drunk:

Usually FermcapS works great for controlling blowoff. I did make a RIS (1.094) two weeks ago and was forced to use a blowoff tube even with Fermcap drops.

Usually FermcapS works great for controlling blowoff. I did make a RIS (1.094) two weeks ago and was forced to use a blowoff tube even with Fermcap drops.

having made 10 or so batches using a blow off tube, I think I get a more consistant fermentation as well as flavors. It seems the easier the co2 leaves the vessel, the more yeast works..... recently had a scottish heavy go from 1.098 to 1.019 in 10 days.....JMHO.....on a side note.......I am going to split a 10 gallon batch next with an airlock and a blow off to compare finished products and see if there really is a difference, or if its just my process producing better beer.

having made 10 or so batches using a blow off tube, I think I get a more consistant fermentation as well as flavors. It seems the easier the co2 leaves the vessel, the more yeast works..... recently had a scottish heavy go from 1.098 to 1.019 in 10 days.....JMHO.....on a side note.......I am going to split a 10 gallon batch next with an airlock and a blow off to compare finished products and see if there really is a difference, or if its just my process producing better beer.
My RIS went from .094 to .024 in 7 days. Was amazed at how quickly the Notty kicked that down.

Back