Carbonating in bottle after filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattD

Reaction score
I had an idea today that I wanted to run by a few of the more experienced folks around here. Let's say you've got a very light beer that you want to get extra clear. Or for whatever reason you just don't want sediment in the bottle. So, you filter out the yeast, or pasturize the beer, whatever. Obviously this would present a problem in carbonating in the bottle. Assuming you did the calculations to ensure you put the proper volume of CO2 in the bottle, what would be the pros/cons of trying to carbonate the beer by dropping a weighed piece of dry ice into the beer just before capping? It seems like this would also have the added advantage of blowing the oxygen layer out of the bottle before capping, which might help prevent it from going stale... Any thoughts?

This has been discussed several times. Unfortunately you cant search for 3 letter words like "dry" or "ice" with the search feature.

The general consensus is that it would be possible with some experimentation... some very dangerous experimentation.

- magno

Ha, I had a feeling it had been, but like you said, the search feature doesn't allow that much flexibility. I weighed the risk of annoying ppl with the time required to search through lord knows how many pages of posts for the subject..... and decided ppl could deal with it :) Any risk of contamination from the dry ice?

I would doubt that anything could survive on dry ice.

It has a temperature of -78 degrees celcius (-109 degrees fahrenheit).

You can handle it pretty safely by wearing heavy winter gloves. Remember, though, that it's fairly pure carbon dioxide. This means that as it sublimates, you're replacing the air in the room with carbon dioxide. So... make sure you have adequate ventilation!

Back