Finally got diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
Note: I used Nottingham, but this is my fault not the yeasts. My pumpkin ale came out a little off (now I have to do another). Until tonight I couldn't put my finger on it. I stuck my nose deep in the glass and it hit me like walking into a movie theater and now I can taste it coating my tongue when I drink it. I'm about 18 batches in and this is my first off beer so I'm not even kinda mad. I messed up by only leaving it in primary for 1 week.

Note: I used Nottingham, but this is my fault not the yeasts. My pumpkin ale came out a little off (now I have to do another). Until tonight I couldn't put my finger on it. I stuck my nose deep in the glass and it hit me like walking into a movie theater and now I can taste it coating my tongue when I drink it. I'm about 18 batches in and this is my first off beer so I'm not even kinda mad. I messed up by only leaving it in primary for 1 week.

Just did my first pumpkin and although I am not that experienced I think your issue (as you stated) was your short time in primary. If you used actual pumpkin (or yam) material in your boil or mash, you will have a lot of materials that take time to breakdown. One of these is pectin, which contains some proteins and sugar (it's basically the plants cell wall). I'm not sure if you added pectic enzyme, but either way this particulate mater takes some time to breakdown.
I'm planning on 2 weeks in primary for my pumpkin ale, and hoping that the yeast eat up as much of that pumpkin's sugar as possible (with the help of the pectic enzyme).

But as I said I am new and my thinking might be off on this one.

Also what temperature did you ferment at?

Just did my first pumpkin and although I am not that experienced I think your issue (as you stated) was your short time in primary. If you used actual pumpkin (or yam) material in your boil or mash, you will have a lot of materials that take time to breakdown. One of these is pectin, which contains some proteins and sugar (it's basically the plants cell wall). I'm not sure if you added pectic enzyme, but either way this particulate mater takes some time to breakdown.
I'm planning on 2 weeks in primary for my pumpkin ale, and hoping that the yeast eat up as much of that pumpkin's sugar as possible (with the help of the pectic enzyme).

But as I said I am new and my thinking might be off on this one.

Also what temperature did you ferment at?

I hadn't even considered a pectic enzyme. So you just add it to the primary or do you need to mix it in well with the pumpkin?

I have some in primary right now, I'm guessing it is too late to add? I have some handy, and it will be in primary for another 2 weeks at least.

Thanks to to OP for asking this, I had been wondering!

Back