Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was initially thinking Bwephistopholes. I went with Blinding Eye Grog since my band is Blinding Eye Dog. It appeared to make some semblence of sense. Who knows? I might change it again since I have no labels made for it or anything.

After playing with it for a few years and looking at different ideas, I think I've settled on one. My last name is Morgan and I now live right by the Penobscot River in Brewer, Maine. So, I have Morgan River Brewery.

After playing with it for a few years and looking at different ideas, I think I've settled on one. My last name is Morgan and I now live right by the Penobscot River in Brewer, Maine. So, I have Morgan River Brewery.

:off: You my friend live in the perfect place for a beer lover. Can't believe there is a place called Brewer.:rockin:

Me and my buddys is FUggin Hiccups after a trip to the lake drinking some of our brew all day, and we kept getting hiccups from the carbonation, and after he hiccuped and said ****ing Hiccups, the name was born

I named my brewery 12 Steps Brewery for the obvious AA program reference as well as an added bonus that it is 12 steps up to my apartment.

Some parties tend to get out of hand. Since it assumed I have a hollow leg, Hollow Leg Brewing was born!

All my Neighbors have dubbed my Garage the "Bar"rage, due to the obviously fact that I turned it into a Bar, as well as a work area/kids bike/toy storage area, so hence

"Bar"rage Haus Brewing was born.

Just finished creating my logo barage -logo.jpg

Bearded Alchemist Brewery.

Brewing is, to me at least, a bit like alchemy. The process of brewing beer is simple and has been around for millennia, but the actual science behind it is from a much more recent date. We didn't know that yeast was responsible for alchoholic fermentation until 150 years ago! But that lack of knowledge didn't stop brewers from developing and refining their processes. All the successes (and failures!) of all those ancient brewers eventually led to the current understanding of the scientific processes that I find so fascinating, much like the search for the Philosopher's Stone by ancient alchemists formed the basis of scientific research and our desire to understand the world around us.

And like alchemy, brewing has another aspect, that of mysticism and spirituality. Like alchemists tried to turn common metals into gold, we try to turn common ingredients like grains, plants and water into a golden nectar of the gods! :)

Oh and beards. Alchemists have beards and so do I. Beards are awesome.

Rifraf Brewery.

My first name is Rafael, and my online name has been Rifraf for quite some time. Originally came from the fact that my favorite movie as a kid was Aladdin ("rifraff, street rat") but I've kept the name. Labels for all my beers are going to have a happy hobo kinda guy wandering and have him look different based on the beer (kilt for Irish Ale, etc)

Poor Boy Brewing is no longer. During this last Chief's initiation season, I brewed up an IPA at the beginning, and had it available to drink at the end. Since we're often referred to as "Old Goats", I called it "Old Goat IPA", and SWMBO piped up "i think that's a much cooler name than Poor Boy", thinking i was talking about my brewery (stove). She was right. Old Goat Brewery was born (still my stove)

New logo to follow...

so...i'm the cider haus fool. simply because all of my friends think its foolish of me to get into this hobby because i'm a little OCD with my hobbies and they all thought homebrewing was more like moonshine making.

the first thing i made was cider so i played on the title "The Cider House Rules". i like it...its not a very elegant or organic name nor is it a good story behind it so it fits me perfectly.

Fairthorn Brewing Company:

One of the houses that I grew up in is named Fairthorn. It's a 200+ year old farmhouse in what used to be rural countryside. I like to think that back when it was all farmland, someone turned extra crop into beer in the same place that I started brewing.

PoorBoy said:
Poor Boy Brewing is no longer. During this last Chief's initiation season, I brewed up an IPA at the beginning, and had it available to drink at the end. Since we're often referred to as "Old Goats", I called it "Old Goat IPA", and SWMBO piped up "i think that's a much cooler name than Poor Boy", thinking i was talking about my brewery (stove). She was right. Old Goat Brewery was born (still my stove)

New logo to follow...

Wife and I are The Yodeling Goat Brewery. When our breweries (stoves) are famous we should totally do a collaboration brew! Haha

I'm hardcore into art painting and tattoos.
After some discussion, pontificating, and a couple batches of homebrew, I came up with The Painted Man Brewing.
Got some labels being printed and loving the whole thing!

Growing up, I was always fascinated by trains. Specifically freight trains. Wanted to become a railroad engineer, that never happened. Became a city bus operator instead. I named my brewery Steel Wheels Brewing. Just part of a childhood memory. Now, to come up with beer names keeping with the brewery name.

Growing up, I was always fascinated by trains. Specifically freight trains. Wanted to become a railroad engineer, that never happened. Became a city bus operator instead. I named my brewery Steel Wheels Brewing. Just part of a childhood memory. Now, to come up with beer names keeping with the brewery name.

Coal Stout
Hop aboard
Railed
Steam wistle
... should be pretty easy :) I like it!

dan09554 said:
Very creative names. Thanks. "Hop Aboard" just made the "to do" list.

Firebox red
Golden Spike Amber

This is easy....Thanks for the inspiration.....Keep 'em coming

Transcontinental IPA

New Car Ale, stop by my house and I might just offer you a new car. Learned that one from Oprah.

Bermuda Rye Angle (rye IPA)

Bitter Blonde (English bitter) my mother in-laws favorite of my recipes, doesn't like the name though.

I live on Castle Hollow Terrace, ergo Castle Hollow Brewery.

Stretching the limits of my creativity.... :p

Although, I have settled on a theme gimmick that for any beer that I label/give away, I'll incorporate some kind of castle in the artwork.

trying to come up with a name for my brewery

what do yall think about C.O.S.B. Brewery/Brewing Co./Brew Works

c.o.s.b. stands for Cry Over Spilled Beer

Thieving Otter Brewery.

I have a creek behind my house. One day I sat down there for 2-3 hours fishing, and didn't get one bite. (To be fair, I have caught fish there before). As I am sitting there trying to figure out what the deal was, an otter runs out of it's den, slides down it's stupid belly into the water and pops out with a fat fish in it's jaws 15 seconds later. I came in ranting about putting a bullet in that thieving otter in the back yard.

Bear Track Brewing

While building our house (was my own general contractor) my SWMBO would get to the work site before me as I would come from work to the site. One day just after the basement was dug she noticed footprints in the sand, photographed them and emailed to me say "WOW biggest raccoon track ever" Of course my reply was ... please get in the car with the kids and drive away, as that is a BEAR TRACK not a raccoon.
Now we live on Bear Track Lane and our businesses are all listed under Bear Track Lane Enterprises, which leads to Bear Track Brewing ... all totally unofficial.

Mine's pretty simple, went with my last name (Griepentrog) due to its strong German roots. And can be shortened to "Hey grab me a Griep!" :)

Pronounced (Gree-Pen-Trog) so Griep = Greep

I'm pretty into Heavy Metal and so far all my brews have been named after something in that vein. So I dubbed mine the "Celtic Froth Home Brewery" After one of the coolest bands I've ever heard, Celtic Frost. I also have a friend who's a devoted metalhead and she has a gift for making some pretty badass labels :D

A long time ago, my brother while intoxicated nicknamed my Flop. My long time friend and brewmate's name is Luke. We named our home brewery Fluke Homebrew. Let's face it some of our beers are a "Fluke" anyways!

Check out our website: Fluke-Homebrew

Trying to decide between these two now:
Cheap Bastard Brewing Co. or Rolling Hills Brewing Co.
The first one is what my neighbor said to me when he found out I was home brewing. "What? You a cheap bastard or something?!" The second describes the area where I live, Rolling Hills are all over the place around me.

I named my self

Tired Anvil Brewery

I'm a Blacksmith Knifemaker and Anvils kind of work into that a lot.

it's kind of a double entandre as a Tired (Adj) Anvil is a VERY old anvil that has been heavily abused and is pretty much unusable for any serious work
whereas a Tired (verb) Anvil describes how I feel after swinging my 4Lb hammer all day long.

;-)

I just recently came up with a brewery name. I use a slotted manifold in the MLT and have always brewed with the slots down. I brew with a friend once in a while and he wanted to try it with the slots up. I've read that people do it both ways. Well, it clogged with grain something awful and I had a bit of trouble getting it cleared enough to lauter and sparge. And the Slots Down Brewery was born.

My dad's name is Larry Dee Nichols mine is Michael Dee Nichols and my sons is Cordell Dee Nichols our race team is 3D Racing so naturally 3D Brewing came to be.

mine is boring, but has a meaning to me- Broken Leg Brewery.

I broke my leg playing hockey on March 16, and it still hasn't healed. I started a more "quiet hobby"- brewing. I have a new nickname, though- "Brewmistress". I would give any more details no matter how much you beg.....

Lorena

Maybe Brew-ella

:cross:

Koegel Haus Cellars
Easy one, my last name is Koegel, I am German, and I started out making Cider and some wine so the cellars sounded pretty good. This summer I am sure I will start making some beer but the name will stick.
Now I need to come up with a logo.........

When I first started brewing I had a few rolls of blue painters tape leftover from work. Figured what better way to label the beer. I still label my beers with blue tape and sharpie, thus started Blue Tape Brewery.

Baby Cakes Brewery
I tried a few different names but this one just stuck. My wife and I have a running joke when one of use would call the other baby cakes and the other would say babies don't eat cakes! Its silly I know but we crack up every time one of us says it. I told my wife the name and she said that's gold! That sealed it for me. :)

Well I am obsessed with fairy tales, and was kinda spoiled as a kid getting a lot of trips to Disney. I hope one day I am fortunate enough to bring my children to Disney so they can see the wonders it holds for young children.

I named the brewery "Once Upon a Time..." and find it pretty fitting. Most of my beers can fit into fairy tale names like my Hansel and Gretel Imperial Chocolate Stout or my Little Flanders Red Riding Hood.

Hidden Spring Brew House

Right around the time I got serious with brewing and moved to a bigger set-up in the basement, we had a "100-year" spring in terms of rainfall. The basement and yard completely flooded. I had two pumps running non-stop for a month just to keep up and had to gut the basement. Got to chatting with the old timer of the neighborhood who's been here since the first houses went up, and it turns out that my house is built on an underground spring. It mostly stays under control with the help of a sump pump, but that spring it was actually bubbling up out of the ground right outside that basement door.

My idea for a logo involves a house floating on a geyser of beer. I just haven't found someone to create the graphic yet.

Back