Capping irregular-sized bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
So, when 12 oz bottles just won't do, we bottle in the 16.9 Zywiec bottles. (500 mL). I feel they're perfect, as when I have a 12 oz homebrew I ALWAYS want another, but sometimes 24 oz is too much. However, that ~17 oz. hits the spot. So anyway, I've got about 50 of those bottles in a collection that is still growing.

The ONLY problem with them is that they're a tad more difficult to cap. Apparently the tops of these bottles aren't exactly the same size as your standard 12 oz. - they're a TINY smidge wider. I use a standard manual capper and standard caps - you can see it here - I'm sure almost all of you have seen this model.

I'd say one or two bottles, in every 5 gal. batch, open up and I hear no fizz, and the beer isn't carbonated and sometimes tastes downright funny. It's not the end of the world, but I was wondering, is there any way, or any equipment that would be better for these larger bottles? Does anyone even sell slightly larger caps? I've had no luck googling around for that stuff.

Thanks.

What size is the bell on a champagne bottle? like a Lambic bottle has them too. If you had the Colona Super All in 1 you'd have the bells, just be looking for hte caps. :fro:

If you are using a table top capper then this should not be a problem. Hand cappers can not fit every size bottle. I have a Big Ben (antique) table top capper and it will seal any cap. Look on EBAY.

I have a feeling the first responder nailed it - it's a European beer, so the 29mm bell attachment plus some 29mm bottle caps may just do the trick. Anyway, I'm going to order both and give it a shot. Thanks!

I aquired a Piraat Ale the other night and it has a larger mouth.(I think champagne bottles do too.)

A. Are there larger caps out there?
B. Even if they are, is my little butterfly capper not going to do it?

This has been discussed before.

What capper are you using?

Most Red Baron cappers have a reversible clamp for European bottles. The black cappers don't. That's why I never recommend them.

Trust me on this one...I have over 23 cases of German 1/2 liter bottles I've been using for years WITH American caps.

See the difference in the size of the arcs in the metal clamp plate?

I've shown both of mine. One screws in and the other you just pry out.

Capper-0.jpg

That looks like my capper. What about larger caps? I tried one of my reg. caps on the Piraat bottle, and it won't go on.

Hey, everyone, just wanted to provide an update and share my experience with everyone else; hopefully I can save someone some trouble somewhere down the line.

After I went through my supply of regular caps, I ordered a pack of 29mm and the larger capping bell from AHS. They came in today. The new bell goes right onto my Red Baron, the thingies slide out and reverse, no problem (they're even marked 26 and 29 on the other side! very handy) and I take one of my many 16.9 Zywiec bottles, put a cap on top, power the Red Baron down onto it, it crimps the cap, and.......

The cap falls right off the Zywiec bottle.

Apparently 29mm is too large for the 500 mL bottles I've been using - they must be some really weird in-between size. I'll probably just keep using the standard caps; they don't fit quite right but 98% of the bottles are sealed well - once in a while I open one and there's no hiss and the beer is bad. But I like the bottle size too much to give them up.

I bet you can solve this problem with a floor capper. I had a similar issue with champagne bottles and when I went from a hand to a floor capper there was a world of difference.

Back