How big of a Chest Freezer do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I want to fit a minimum of two 6-gallon glass fermenters or 4 corny kegs and a CO2 tank - anyone have suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks!

Stevo

I have a 7.5 Cu Ft. I can fit a 10# tank and three cornies and if I built a collar I could fit carboy on the compressor hump. With all the stuff you want to put in yours you would want to buy a bigger one so you have the room.

Or you could go with this....

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=357837

But if I just want to put 4 kegs OR 2 carboys, it sounds like I should be fine w/ the standard 8.8 cubic feet...right?

I want to fit a minimum of two 6-gallon glass fermenters or 4 corny kegs and a CO2 tank - anyone have suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks!

Stevo

I have 8.2 cu ft. and I can fit five cornies and a tank if i kept it inside the freezer. I think anything around 7.5 to 8 cu ft. is what you are looking for

I personally have the whirpool freezer from Lowes. I liked it because it was not as wide as the other models with same amount of cu feet. And this added depth allowed me to fit 5 cornies nicely.

Cubic foot ratings wont tell you how many cornies you can fit in a freezer. As the dimensions are all different. Best way to gauge is make some paper cutouts of the bottom of a corny and take them to the store with you and put them inside the freezer and see exactly how many will fit. That's the only way to be certain.

I have a 13' and it can fit 6 kegs, or 4 kegs and two carboys. Plus 2 air tanks, and space for bottles.

One thing is I have 2 pin locks, they are a little shorter, but wider which makes the placement of kegs important if I'm going to fit a 5 gal carboy in the line.
There are sites that give the dimension of each type of container, but I think you would want at least 1 keg and space for one carboy. Filling the pipeline becomes very important when you have an empty keg. If in doubt, make some cut outs of your equipment and bring them to the store and put them in the different models. At worst you might strike up a conversation with someone interesting on just what the h*** your doing.

Go big or go home!

I hae a 26 cubic foot monster. It will hold 16 kegs. I have 10 kegs tapped and 2 in "storage" with room still left.

Got everything on Craigs list or from friends. I am in it for probabbly a total of about $200 bucks. - I only have 8 faucets - none forward sealing. Keep your eye open and deals will come around. Just be patient. I'm still looking for more faucets and a tower.

I also have a 25 or 26 foot model. It's monstrously huge. I can probably fit 16 or more cornies in there easily. I currently have 6, but am adding them pretty rapidly. The goal is to eventually get the whole thing full of lagering, cold-aging, and force carbing cornies so I have enough beer available to always age things well and clear them up nicely.

Back