Efficiency Calculation in Beer Smith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
As requested, here are the details of my AG brew:

Ingredients:
12 lbs. American 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lbs. German Vienna Malt
1 oz. Chinook Hops (14.4% @ 30 Mins)
3/4 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 mins
1 pkg. Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast (I made a starter for this)

What I did:
1. Dumped some scolding hot tap water into my mash tun to pre-heat it.
2. Drained pre-heat water.
3. Brought 16.25 quarts of water to 170 Degrees, then dumped it into my mash tun.
4. After the water reached about 168ish Degrees, I added all of my grain. Mixed thoroughly ensure there were no dry grains.
5. After 60 minutes, I added 1.5 gallons of 175 Degree water. (1.5 gallons due to grain absorption.)
6. After 10 minutes I collected my first runnings of about 4 gallons.
7. I heated 2 Gallons of Sparge water to 175 Degrees, then poured it into my mash and mixed thoroughly.
8. After 10 minutes I collected my second runnings of about 2 gallons.
9. I repeated 7 & 8 two times for a total of four runnings. Keeping 1st and 2nd runnings separate from 3rd and 4th.
10. I dumped my 1st and 2nd runnings into my boil pot, then poured a mixture of 3rd and 4th to equal 8.5 gallons.
11. I took a sample of thoroghly mixed wort and chilled to to 60 Degrees, then took a SG reading of 1.052.
12. I then did a 90 minute boil and ended with 5.75 Gallons of Wort.
13. Prior to pitching my yeast, I took an OG of 1.075 (Twice for good measure).
14. I then pitched the yeast, and poured myself a homebrew.

Side-Notes:
1. My LHBS crushed my grains for me.
2. My mash tun is a 72 quart rubbermaid cooler, with a CPVC manifold constructed at home. (Pretty sure I have pics in my gallery).
3. Weather was overcast skies. No rain, and very low humidity level.
4. Boil Pot is a 30 quart (acutally holds just shy of 9 gallons to the brim) aluminum turky fryer.
5. Drinking was involved, however, it was near the end of the boil when started. :)
6. Wow, AG brewing takes much MUCH longer than extract brewing.

Nope, not possible. Here are some ideas:

You had a lot more than 13 pounds of grain.
You failed to stir all your runnings to equalize the gravities.
You measured OG wrong.
You measured your volume wrong.

Bobby_M said:
Nope, not possible. Here are some ideas:

You had a lot more than 13 pounds of grain.
You failed to stir all your runnings to equalize the gravities.
You measured OG wrong.
You measured your volume wrong.

I do know that I have 13 lbs of grain 100%
I do know I measured my OG corrctly 100%

I could have not stirred my runnings thoroughly, I will do that and post in a bit.

As for my volume, I did a 16.5 quart infusion, added 1.5 gallons for grain absorbtion, following two sparges of 2 gallons at 175 degrees. That should put me right around 8.5 gallons give or take.

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions, i'll post an update in a bit.

Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? If it's a hydrometer, they are notoriously inaccurate at high temperatures. Make sure the sample is under 90 degrees by cooling it in ice water before taking, and then do the temperature correction.

I wouldn't make any assumptions on your total preboil volume without measuring or having a known reference mark. Yooper's right too. I've found really off readings when I try to temp correct down from 150F. It can be off by a few points easily but 108% efficiency is way off the charts obviously.

YooperBrew said:
Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? If it's a hydrometer, they are notoriously inaccurate at high temperatures. Make sure the sample is under 90 degrees by cooling it in ice water before taking, and then do the temperature correction.

I am using a hydrometer, and all of my samples have been at 60 degrees. I am chilling another sample right now of a thoroghly mixed set of runnings... standby with update.

YooperBrew said:
I missed your final volume into the kettle- how much did you measure going into the kettle?

My volume going into the kettle was 8.5 gallons.

I followed the advice of Bobby_M, my batch must not have been stirred enough because my gravity reading now is 1.052. However, BS still says that the efficiency is 93.65%, while this is possible, it is still seems too high to me.

Do you have exactly 8.5 gallons, or more or less?

Edit- one more thing I missed the first time (sorry)- what do you mean by 1.5 gallons added for grain absorption? That confused me.

YooperBrew said:
Do you have exactly 8.5 gallons, or more or less?

Edit- one more thing I missed the first time (sorry)- what do you mean by 1.5 gallons added for grain absorption? That confused me.

I have between 8 and 9 gallons of wort. I also followed the advice of a video, in which they added water into the mash 10 minutes before the collecting the first runnings. This water was 175 degrees and the amount calculated for grain absorbtion.

OldFarmer said:
Please excuse me for jumping into this dicussion, but taking a mean value of 37 Sac points for your malt at 13 pounds, you have 481 sac.points possible. Dvide by the number of gallons(8.5) and you have the theoretical maximum: 1.05659. You say you read 1.052. This translates to a mash efficiency of almost 92%. From what I read here, you are due a big cheer!!! Looks like a great job:rockin:

Well that is great to hear, this is my first AG and thought that numbers like this where near impossible to acheive. All I know is that I did my homework and followed instructions to the "T".

Thank you.

Sherpa FE said:
Good job. :rockin:

Damn You....;)

Show Off....:D

Seriously, great job.

Thank you very much, even though this was my first time with AG, i'm not counting my chickens yet...still have one more reading to take as soon as my wort chills. Hopefully I stay about the same, if it does, I can only attribute my success to the people here, as this is the place where I learned everything I know, including the construction of my mash tun.

OldFarmer said:
Please excuse me for jumping into this dicussion, but taking a mean value of 37 Sac points for your malt at 13 pounds, you have 481 sac.points possible. Dvide by the number of gallons(8.5) and you have the theoretical maximum: 1.05659. You say you read 1.052. This translates to a mash efficiency of almost 92%. From what I read here, you are due a big cheer!!! Looks like a great job:rockin:

Whatever Sac points are, and however you calculated my efficiency worked and seems pretty accurate. Just prior to pitching my yeast, I took a sample, chilled it down to 60 degrees, and took an OG reading of 1.075. My wort has boiled down to 5.75 gallons. This makes my efficiency 91.37%.

how about sharing some of the details like what type mash tun, who ground your grains, did you make any water adjustments, etc...

stever said:
how about sharing some of the details like what type mash tun, who ground your grains, did you make any water adjustments, etc...

I'll share the details, and what I did step-by-step in a bit, right now, i've got some serious cleaining up to do...AG leave my mash tun quite dirty and sticky!

Ok, as requested, I am going to edit my original post to spell out the details of my recipe, and everything I did to achieve 91.37% efficiency....

uhlee1 said:
congrats on the great efficiency! How do you get 8.5 gallons into a 30qt(7.5 gallon) pot?

Well, to answer that question, I reply with this: My 30 Quart Pot, when filled with 30 Quarts of water, only fills to about 3/4 of it's full capacity. I am able to add another 1 1/2 gallons of water to bring the water level to about 1/2 inch below the brim of the pot.

My guess, since this is a turky fryer, is that 30 quarts is the rated fying capacity of the pot. This would allow sufficient room for 30 quarts of oil + 1 large turkey.

Back