Black wheat recipe. Hmm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
So I purchased some midnight wheat on a whim and want to throw together a black wheat beer. This is my rough recipe. What do you guys think? Want to ferment with safale wb 06, I've read some negative things about this yeast, not being great, but for a budget beer I think it may work fermenting it nice and low (16C).

Looking at roughly: (14L batch)
1.5kg Pale 2 row
0.5 Midnight wheat
0.5 Wheat malt
0.5 Vienna malt
0.3 Carafa III

Hop to about 18 IBU with 60 min and 20 min additions with hersbrucker and hallertau mittelfruh

To be honest I've never drank a dark wheat so don't know what I'm aiming for here.... This I why I need those more knowledgable to help me out!

Any opionins?
Cheers

My opinion is that you should brew it and tell us all how it turns out, I've never used midnight wheat nor have I had a black wheat but I would be interested to hear how it turns out. Nothing seems glaringly wrong with the recipe although I would use a neutral yeast to start off with, then switch to wb06 on another batch (same recipe) if you think it could improve it.

Sidenote: I've drank a normal HB wheat with wb06 and it tasted great

I had something similar in mind but I haven't brewed it yet...a schwartzweizen dopplebock!
as far as your recipe goes, I think it'll be quite roasty with .5 lb midnight wheat & the carafa, but I haven't used carafa & have only used the midnight wheat for color in my dunkelweizen.
also, with less than 50℅ wheat I would hesitate to call it a "wheat beer", but that's just me.
wb-06 is ok for making a fairly well balanced weizenbier. I would only pitch maybe half a sachet to try to coax more banana esters out of it.
edit..
I see it's not a half pound but kg so you might can disregard that bit.
sorry, I'm metrically challenged, I'm American!

Hmm. Ok well this seems very do-able. I might even do a split batch and brew one with S 05 and one with the wb 06.

How does single infusion at 67C (152F for the metrically challenged ;) ) sound?

I could drop the Vienna down and the pale malt to 1kg (I had it sitting at a rather high OG) and still achieve around 1.050. This would give me a closer 50% wheat ratio and a namely a more traditional "wheat".

A week or so and my fermenters will be free'd up to give this a go.

Edit: I've used Carafa in a Cascadian dark ale and it came out really smooth dark, chocolatey. So the main roasty I'm assuming would be coming from the midnight wheat

I say brew it.
looking back through my brew log I see the most midnight wheat I've used in a weizenbier was 4 oz in. 5.5 gal batch (maybe 2.5-3% of grist). it made my dunkelweizen look like a brown Porter but really didn't have a noticeable effect on flavor.
I later used 2 oz in a 1.75 gal batch (around 5% of grain bill) of Porter & that beer wasn't really roasty either.
let us know how it goes.

Brewed today! Took me some time to get around to it but decided to go with this recipe:

2kg Pale
1.5kg Wheat
.5kg Midnight wheat
.3kg Carafa type 1

10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @60
15g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @20
15g Hersbrucker @10

Wanted big smooth roastyness and some spice from the late hop additions.

Mashed at 154. OG of 1.055.
Will update once bottled!

image.jpg

Brewed today! Took me some time to get around to it but decided to go with this recipe:

2kg Pale
1.5kg Wheat
.5kg Midnight wheat
.3kg Carafa type 1

10g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @60
15g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @20
15g Hersbrucker @10

Wanted big smooth roastyness and some spice from the late hop additions.

Mashed at 154. OG of 1.055.
Will update once bottled!

Looking forward getting your thoughts on the final product.

Cheers

Fermentation kicking nicely. Used WLP300 trying to keep the temp below 18c. Nevertheless never seen such a black krausen!

image.jpg

Bottled today after a two week primary. Fermented with WLP300 and kept it in the mid 60s for fhe first 3 days then up to low 70s, was getting great banana notes through the airlock. That said today's bottling session was a little uninspired, couldn't pick up much in the way of banana or clove aroma and it smelled a little stale. Tasted smooth and toasty. Hopefully bottle conditioning will throw some more esters from the yeast.... Time will tell and I'll update!

OG 1.055
FG 1.013

So the verdict is not great.....
It's waaaaay too heavy, it's not hoppy enough to balance the dark malt, nor sweet enough in the same respect. Interesting though it is not astringent as such, it's really smooth but the main problem is it is just way to roasty/ burnt.

This assessment is pretty early.... Going to put them in the cellar and leave them for a few months.

Wish I had made it a bigger beer, 7-8% would have improved it considerable I think.

Oh well, live and learn

IMO that recipe isn't very well balanced (as you may be finding out).
A traditional German wheat beer is 50% Pale malt and 50% malted wheat. Midnight wheat is not a base malt, it's a specialty malt. It's extremely dark. It's recommended to be used in quantities of up to 10%. You ended up with 47% Pale malt, 15% Vienna, 15% Midnight Wheat, 15% malted wheat, and 9% carafa (also high).

I think better numbers to shoot for would be
1.5 kg pale malt
1.5 kg malted wheat
0.25 kg Vienna malt
200 grams Midnight wheat
100 grams Carafa I

But it depends what you want out of your beer.
Do you want a dunkelweiss? Or do you want a german wheat stout?

My first beer was a wheat with 15% midnight wheat (accidentally put too much in). It came out super roasted, impossible to see through, and lacked the body and fullness you'd expect from a beer that dark. Won't be making that one again :)

Yep you're very right, it was a completely unbalanced recipe. It is still not drinkable, I have never dumped a batch.... It's sooooo roasted and burnt tasting. That said some good qualities do shine through. I don't think I'll dump, but I think these bottles will become cooking beers, meat marinades etc

Back