Pale Ale w/Nelson Sauvin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
I purchased a pound of Nelson Sauvin hops, so I thought I'd use some of those for a pale ale. Looking to make nice summer pale ale. I've had an Alpine Nelson before, so I'd like to capture the aroma from that, but keep it significantly less bitter. I'm also wanting to keep the beer very light and cracker tasting, almost giving the perception of a sauvignon blanc look to it. Nelson hops are one of the few hops out there that I believe do well on their own. Certainly you can combine them with other ones, but I feel like they are interesting and complex on their own. Here's what I'm thinking, but I probably won't get around to making this till 6/15 or so.

80% 2 Row
10% Crystal 10L
5% White Wheat
5% Carapils
- mash @ 152F -
- 90min boil -
hop additions:
10m - Nelson Sauvin
5m - Nelson Sauvin
- whirlpool/hopstand - 30m - Nelson Sauvin
- dry hop 1 - 3 days - Nelson Sauvin
- dry hop 2 - 3 days - Nelson Sauvin

will use about a pound of Nelson hops for this and will get about 40 to 42 IBUs from the hop additions. 1.055 assumed O.G.

Good luck with NS. I'm not a fan.

Only critique I would make is be careful with crystal malt and wheat. Both will make a beer sweet. I'd probably drop the crystal so you get the effect of the wheat.

1lb of Nelson in what volume? 5 gallon batch... would be some potent stuff! I love me some Nelson.

Good luck with NS. I'm not a fan.

Only critique I would make is be careful with crystal malt and wheat. Both will make a beer sweet. I'd probably drop the crystal so you get the effect of the wheat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm considering taking your advice. The only reason I added Crystal was to increase the SRM a bit. But now that I think about it, the addition of both wheat and crystal 10 might make it more sweet than I normally am used to.

1lb of Nelson in what volume? 5 gallon batch... would be some potent stuff! I love me some Nelson.

It will be a 10gal. batch. Since it's all late additions, it's going to get it's bitterness from the late addition volumes of hops and really should have a super strong aroma.

that sounds really interesting. I think NS are one of those hops the people either love or hate, not a lot of middle ground. Personally i'm in the love camp ever since I discovered Widmer Bros. Drifter Pale Ale (RIP). Keep us posted!

Finishing up brewing today. OG came in at 1.052 which was my error. I used too much sparge water. Anyway, will let this ferment out for a couple of weeks and then secondary and dry hop before kegging. Bitterness aroma and flavor on the wort sample was very nice. Mellow bitterness and should be very aromatic when all said and done and drinking this !
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402954686.302849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegged today. 1.012. Added gelatin in and will sample in a couple of weeks. Fantastic aroma and flavor !

Beer is now carbed and serving. Very pale gold. Good balance with the amount of Nelson hops added. Aroma is excellent. Really feeling like a captured a good sauvignon blanc grape aroma and good melony/citrus taste to the beer. I'll post some photos this weekend. Brew this beer and you will like it !

Here's a photo of the beer. Clean crisp pale ale with a dry finish and bright Nelson hop aromas and flavor. Very mild bitterness. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405723969.285676.jpg

I did the Regal Pale Ale for the '14 Big Brew and really enjoyed the Nelson Sauvin. I liked it so much I brewed it again last weekend and have the sequel in the fermenter.

This is awesome! I have a beer fermenting right now that I am calling a Late Hopped Sauvignon Blanc Ale. I used Nelson hops as well but combined it with German Hallertau Blanc hops.

Back