Boiling Wax Paper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
This a horrible idea? My candi sugar I made is sticking to the wax paper pretty bad. Can't get it all off, figure I could skim it off afterwords? Maybe make a hot tea and get the sugar desolved and then skim the wax paper off of that.

Any thoughts?

So the stuff sticks! What happened to the foil? That's what I want to use, but I want to know if you had any luck. You could probably use some warm water to get the rest of the candi sugar off.

Iordz said:
So the stuff sticks! What happened to the foil? That's what I want to use, but I want to know if you had any luck. You could probably use some warm water to get the rest of the candi sugar off.

Yea, let it sit over night, I'm gonna give it a shot today. the foil would not come off at all, definitely use the wax paper.

After I was done making a batch of sugar I immediately put it in the freezer. This helped a little. The sugar will stick to the wax paper, you just need to break it and turn it over, slowly peeling the paper off. It will peel off eventually. BTW I think there is a waxier side to the paper, and it's helpful to find the correct side before pouring the sugar on it. Atleast that's what happened to me my first time.

the_Roqk said:
After I was done making a batch of sugar I immediately put it in the freezer. This helped a little. The sugar will stick to the wax paper, you just need to break it and turn it over, slowly peeling the paper off. It will peel off eventually. BTW I think there is a waxier side to the paper, and it's helpful to find the correct side before pouring the sugar on it. Atleast that's what happened to me my first time.

Awesome, that's what I figured. I'll probably spend some time today doing the peeling. It's hard as a rock now, been in the firdge for about 12 hours.

I wonder... Maybe instead of placing it directly on the wax paper, perhaps next time lightly dust the paper with something like cornstarch to help keep it from melting the wax on the paper.

Perhaps parchment paper with a coating of cornstarch?

What about one of those silicone baking mats? I know you probably don't want to spend any more money, but it might save you from having to peel off stuck wax paper/foil/etc.

And you could use it for regular baking, too.

The silicon mat is the way to go. That's what all the professional candi makers use. They're pretty cheap, especially if you get it from someplace like Bed, Bath, and Beyond with one of those 20% off coupons.

the_Roqk said:

:rockin: Yes, the stuff I use has a waxy side and a not so waxy side. I peeled off the majority and then busted some pieces, peeling more and razoring off the remainder.

OP: I would imagine you could boil it off though, I would want to remove as much as possible before hand to minimize what goes into the kettle. Skim and strain your wort and you shouldn't have any problems.

I just used my plain old non-stick cookware to cook my sugar with no issues. Honestly, it was a pretty straight forward thang.

+1 For the silicone mat. I use mine for making peanut brittle, never had any trouble. Comes right off. Good multi purpose tool. Use it for brewing and baking. :mug:

OK, this worked. I definitely want a silicon sheet now, but I can't spend money for a little while. I just boiled some to put in my starter to beef it up a little and the wax paper came off before the boil even started and I just skimmed it out.

Cheers!

Gonna copy this post to the candi sugar thread too.

seefresh said:
OK, this worked. I definitely want a silicon sheet now, but I can't spend money for a little while. I just boiled some to put in my starter to beef it up a little and the wax paper came off before the boil even started and I just skimmed it out.

Cheers!

Gonna copy this post to the candi sugar thread too.

Good deal! Yep I think I'll be getting me a silicon sheet too. Whenever I'm out and about I'll be doing some pricing. BTW did your candi sugar look like the same as the packaged "Belgian Candi Sugar"?

the_Roqk said:
Good deal! Yep I think I'll be getting me a silicon sheet too. Whenever I'm out and about I'll be doing some pricing. BTW did your candi sugar look like the same as the packaged "Belgian Candi Sugar"?

Pretty much, it was a little gooyer, I think I used too much water. I'm gonna try and make it again in a few weeks when I have this yeast cake to pitch on.

Back