Natural gas or propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natural gas doesn't run out in the middle of a brew day like a propane tank can, while propane tanks are easily portable. Not entirely sure which is cheaper, but I'd suspect natural gas might edge out propane by a bit.

In practice though, except for the minor equipment variations that are required, they're pretty much identical to work with.

Neither is "best" for any one reason. It depends on your situation and what works best for you. Personally, I use natural gas. Mainly because I live in the city and have easy access. NG is more convenient if your house is already plumed with it. And it's cheaper. On the other hand, NG burners are low pressure and at the mercy of your inlet pressure from the gas company. Also, NG does not burn as hot as propane. Even if you have NG, it might be better to use propane if you brew outside or in the garage where there is no gas line to easily tap into. So the easy answer is......it depends.

Back