Digital Temp Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using it in the wort may become a pain. I think your best bet would be to put the probe in a cup of water, so it simulates the temperature of the fermenting beer, but yes the probe can be submerged in a liquid.

Yeah water is a good idea but the problem is that fermenting wort is warmer than the cup of water. So it seems that even with an expensive thermostat your still left guessing where to keep the air temp to get your warmer wort to sit around it's prime temperature range.

It's just not as specific as what I would have hoped is what I'm getting at.

tape the probe to the side of your fermenter and insulate it from the ambient air is my recomendation.
I have the same model but got it from AHS (same price) and if you pick up a couple 20 dollar kits they have on special you will get free shipping ;)

Yes the beer would be a slightly higher temp while fermenting, but only by a few degrees. You could even put a cheep thermometer in the fermenter to monitor the temp, and set the controller down a few degrees accordingly, but a few degrees difference in temp shouldn't make a lot of difference.

Or you could just set the controller to 2-4 degrees below your target fermenting temp and not monitor the actual temp of the fermenter.

Or you could put the probe in the beer, and have to figure our a way to do so, and keep it sanitary, and have to wash off the probe every time to swap out the beer. And if there's 2 beers fermenting, you would only be controlling the temp in relation to one of the beers.

tape the probe to the side of your fermenter and insulate it from the ambient air is my recomendation.
I have the same model but got it from AHS (same price) and if you pick up a couple 20 dollar kits they have on special you will get free shipping ;)

plastic and glass are not good thermal conductors, so for the most part, you would still be only picking up ambient temperature, and now have the hassle with something stuck to the side of a fermenter that you would have to peel off for cleaning or what not.

I found a ranco 111000 temp controller on amazon for $57.20 with shipping.I had to wire with a three prong cord , but believe me , if i can do it, anyone can.

If you just want to know the temp of the carboy just use a $4 temperture tape, has worked for me for years. What you are looking at is a controller to tell the power to the cooler to come on or off when a certain tempature is reached.

Back