Newby Fermentation Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsychem

Reaction score
Hi guys, just making my first batches of cider. I figured that billions of gallons of cider were successfully made without a hydrometer, so I decided to wing it for my first batch. That and times are tight.

Anyways, the gist of it is that my fermentation seemed to slow down after day 2... Everything seemed like it was going well, but now the bubbles in the airlock have gone from every 2-3 seconds to every 8-9 seconds (by day 3). I'm fairly impatient as this is my first batch, I"m sure you all can relate. I just wish it was going crazy like all the turbo ciders on youtube...

My recipe is roughly as follows. In each gallon jug I used a different kind of Juice/cider, all pasteurized, all without preservatives (one gallon got a pound of dark brown sugar for fun). I dissolved one campden tablet per gallon, and let sit for 24 hours. Added Danstar Windsor Yeast to fermenters, following directions as best as I could. Fermenation was noticeable in each jug by the end of day one. I used a 1/3 of a yeast packet per gallon. A whole packet is good for 4.5 gallons. I kept the level in my jugs low to avoid needing a blow off tube, and so far it seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm debating whether I should top off my fermenters with more juice, more juice with added sugar, or yeast nutrients. In retrospect I didn't aerate the must very well, but the yeast I used (Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast) said on it's online pdf that aerating isn't necessary. I wonder...

So. The one thing I've learned so far is that the jug of cider with added sugar has been fermenting the strongest and that campden tablets never really fully dissolve do they? (at least mine don't, I shook and shook and shook the hell out......)

So. Questions?

Should I add Yeast Nutrients or Juice, or extra sugary juice?
Based solely on my airlock bubbles, when should I pull the plug?
Does freshly fermented cider taste good? Without Secondary Fermentation?
Are wine Theifs worth the investment? (I'm definitely getting a hydrometer later)
What is up with turbo yeast?

I guess that's all. I dig this website. Happy brewing, good luck.

welcome to the site

First thing you should do is take the campden tabs outta there. you are supposed to crush them before adding them to the juice. I found that out the hard way as well. they will not stop yeast but they will make it a bit harder for them to work. so I would take those out and then add a bit more yeast.

I wouldn't bother with yeast nutrient, imo they are unnecessary.
If you don't have a hydrometer its probably best to wait 2-3 weeks after all visible fermentation has stopped and a bit longer for the one you put the 1 lbs of brown sugar in (I've done that also, it finished at about 16% alcohol for me. I used champagne yeast though).

Cider usually takes a while to actually taste good but it is certainly drinkable young depending on your ability to suppress your gag reflex. Sweet cider usually tastes better sooner.
wine thief's are a good thing, unless there is a person stealing your wine :)

I have never used turbo yeast but it is very expensive and is usually used by distillers. It comes with strange yeast nutrients that may taste funny. It is mainly used to ferment cane sugar + water to quickly ferment a wash for distillers to distill. If you want highly attenuating yeast then you might want to use champagne yeast which can ferment up to 18% ABV but takes a little longer.

hopes this helps! :rockin:

Thanks for the reply. I'll add some more yeast.

I crushed the campden tablets into a really fine powder before I threw them in. I even dissolved one in a pint of boiling water to use in my airlocks- still couldn't dissolve it fully, left a scummy residue on top of my water like it did with my cider, not much really but enough to be noticeable. I tried to get all the little floaties out before I pitched my yeast and did a fairly decent job.

My question really is how should I get my yeast back in gear, without yeast nutrients? Or even without more yeast I guess. I have to run back to the store to get more.

I read that Windsor yeast needs a gentle swirling everyonce in a while in other posts about beer. I gently swirled my jugs and now about 5 hours later, they are bubbling about the same, but they lost their foamy head on top, which was always kinda thin at its best.

It stays a constant 65 to 68 degrees in here, but sometimes at night it might drop as low as 62ish, i don't know. I'm trying to keep them a slight bit warmer in the upper 60's now, I guess I'll see how that goes...

There is still room in the jugs to add more cider, will fresh clean juice perk my yeast back up?

Thanks again.

I know you will not like this answer, but without a hydrometer, you can add o2, and remove Co2 (degassing) for the first three days to give the yeast the best environment. If your using standard 1gal jugs, I would just remove the air lock, shake it but stop before it starts over flowing out the top. Do this until it stops foaming.
After that, I would just give it time, lot's of time. Ciders, meads and wine just take a lot of time.
Wait till it starts clearing, then rack to secondary. Then give it more time.
Then bottle, and forget about it for another 4 months+.
Then enjoy.

Back