AHA Surly Wort Rally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my german ale batch and it read apx 1012 as shown in pic below but i wanted to ask if this looks like black mold to anyone?
I think i have some in my kitchen and it may have entered the bucket. This never happened before so i'm a bit concerned. When fermenting it i needed to release some pressure from the air lock because the krausen blew over. The pic of the air lock shows some white stuff left over after i washed it today. I tasted it and it was a bit sour and a bit sweet as well but didn't taste bad. I'm going to keg tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

20150804_112358.jpg

20150804_112558_004.jpg

20150804_112608.jpg

20150804_112755.jpg

For anyone who already bottled or kegged, what was the FG?

My FG was 1.014 after two weeks with a 2-liter starter of WPL001 California Ale. The 73.5% attenuation is lower than I typically experience with this strain, but to be expected with the lower PH. I was actually hoping it would end here for a little more residual sweetness to balance out the tart character.

My batch is currently dry-hopping in secondary with a 10-day and what will be a 4-day addition of Nelson Sauvin. I'm optimistic that the aroma of white wine with a bit of fruitiness will compliment the sourness and Golden Promise character. I was thrilled with the tasting after racking and remain confident that this combination will be a winner by the time it hits the keezer.

Personally, I love sour beers! I understand everyone has their own taste, but we all can benefit from new experiences. I'm a bit surprised at all the pessimism being thrown at this wort. IMO, the objective of a wort give-away should be to broaden the horizons of homebrewers and inspire creativity. $5 for a professionally brewed 5 gallons?!? Sign me up regardless of the specs and I'll relish the opportunity to experiment! Good luck to all who are experimenting with this wonderful wort!!!

Since i put back on the lid my fermentor it has been bubbling again. I'm going to let it sit another week to see if i can get it down to 1004-1007 for normal Berliner Wiesse graity.

I loved the sour taste but i don't want to rush and drink another keg of sugar beer. My last saison was a nightmare. I used the refractometer first and then took a hydrometer reading after kegging to be disappointed that i didn't' wait. Oh well, the saison was so alcoholic after adding a pound of candy sugar that no one minded.

Call me crazy experimental, but I decided not to add any fruits to the mix and let the yeast do the storytelling, based on the tales of "vomit" I've heard about this giveaway (which actually cost us $5.99 via Paypal to participate).*

*Tempted to save my balanced criticism of the event because it doesn't do anyone any good and i expect hate mail in this thread from much stronger Surly advocates, but ok, here's some a-hole's complaints list instead: *;)

Ahemm... So much wonderful lots of waiting, no actual food? Not even potato chips; how many millions did this place cost?And this event, it is a Rally right? So, you have two restaurants here right? *You've got free water from your own aquifer and don't have to pay for that, but we still had to pay money for your wort giveaway?Minnesota Nice. I recall that *Lucid Brewing never did that - cant really say your supplier *generously "donated" the grain then. We were mostly buying additional beers, not to be cheap homebrewers.

Jeez x2 we're drinking your friggin well made beer and nothing really else to do here (people aren't real chatty if they are expecting to be entertained I guess), nice lack of activities and tour lineup. Could have been less skimpy on the giveaways AHA and donors, maybe break those 10 lb bags down to several 1lb-ers; oh well.*

Shirts only went to the first 50 people. Did get a glass at the end. Ok, needed that branding.*

*Positives: still love your beer, 2 free is actually very very kind, was happy to attend, and I guess $5.99 is not bad at all, it helped me to splurge for yeasts I generally don't buy, and I'm an ass for saying all of the former.

But, man multiply how many participants x $5.99 and you'll see they could have at least sprung for UTZ chips at minimum.*

That said, in total unfairness and crassness, *my treatment of this batch: no secondary for now, waiting a few months to do any transfer, used Wyeast Brett L and Brett B. Along with Saf-04. Constant 65 degrees exterior temp.

Going to wait, possible up to a year to see if this experiment paid off.
If it is in the end vomit, I mainly have myself to blame along for my own negativity of the beyond reproach folks at Surly who are super nice indeed.

Cherry vomit surprise I'm not thinking so. Probably going to be wildly complex.
Ok, I'll start saving up for the next rally and wort donation giveaway. Maybe would feel better if I knew that cash was going to a nonprofit.*

Oh, I need to stop. ;)

Bottled it today but didn't take pics. The sample was much than I anticipated with the smell. I'm hoping the yeast choice is what saved it, unless it changes in the bottle.

not sure how you could ever complain about 5 gallons of wort, a pint glass and 2 free beers, which included pentagram, for $6.

Even if it tastes like vomit(which it wont, have vomited recently - can confirm), its free vomit, brewed by surly. and I will drink every last ounce out of principle alone if I have to :)

not sure how you could ever complain about 5 gallons of wort, a pint glass and 2 free beers, which included pentagram, for $6.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Excited for the finished product. Gonna keg it tonight. Getting my first kegerator (rather a mini-fridge that will become a kegerator) tomorrow.

I let my wyeast 1007 batch ferment another week and the gravity was the same. Apx 1012 or 7 brix. If this actually started at 1054 then I guess having a sweeter Berlinier Weisse in the Keg would be like add syrup to the glass. The sour should counteract the sweet a bit. My last under fermented batch was a saison which was a chore to drink because of high apv with 1 pound of candy sugar added.

Also did anyone else notice that the wort was more than 5 gallons? I accidentally over filled my corny when i wasn't paying attention. Had to remove a few pints to allow space to degas. A bit sad because i would have filled a bomber if it wasn't last minute.

My all brett is looking good. Can't wait to check the gravity in 3 weeks. The pellicle is pretty translucent but still there. I thought it would look gross but really doesn't. Smells delicious with no hints of puke, feet or cheese.

Even if it tastes like vomit(which it wont, have vomited recently - can confirm), its free vomit, brewed by surly. and I will drink every last ounce out of principle alone if I have to :)

I asked for Pentagram about 230 and was told it was gone already...was kind of upset about that.

I fermented mine with Wyeast 1056 and kegged it before I went on vacation a week ago. Got back last night and sampled it and it's what I expected I guess based on smell and taste. It's good but if I had made it I wouldn't make it again.

Here is the WLP650 bubbling away. 3.5 weeks in and i'm going to check gravity at 6 weeks. It smells great but i hope it ferments out.

20150812_115225.jpg

Transferred to secondary on July 25 and the gravity was 1.014, kept the fermentation temps around 70-72 for the duration.

Dry hopped it for 3 days with 1 oz Nelson, 1 oz Galaxy, 1 oz citra pellet hops. Then I did a 3-day cold crash to try and clear things up a little bit.

I used 121 g of corn sugar for carbonation, targeting around 2.1 carbonation. I bottled mine last night and ended up with 25 22oz bombers of finished product.

I used WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend Yeast and my FG ended up just over 1.010.

Tasted tart like a lemonade with a little bit of a sauvignon blanc wine flavor. There is a citrus smell too it, but can't really differentiate the nose from the possible notes from dry hopping (citrus, peach, passion fruit, gooseberry, grape, grapefruit, melon, lime).

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

Here is what the half of mine I put wild raspberries in looks like

NXs935i

Smells sweet and funky. Actually a lot sweeter than I would think.

As for the big fill, I brought a 7 gallon bucket and asked them to fill to the top, knowing I was going to split it. So I have~ 3.5 gallons I fermented with us05, and~3.5 gallons going wild.

I pitched 1.5 liter starter of WLP670 at 64, allowed it to free rise to 68 until temp started to drop, then bumped to 70 for 4 days, then 72 until the bulk of the krausen and pellicle had fallen. Unplugged the temp controller and let rest at 66 for 12 days. Drew a hydro sample on 08/17 and the gravity is 1.007. Definitely has some funky aroma from the Brett (wet hay, horse blanket) and the taste is sharply tart. Some subtle fruity esters from the yeast but could use more in my opinion. Debating whether to secondary on fruit or just dry hop with some fruity hops before bottling.

We just got back Monday from a 10 day vacation and my wife's 5 gallon corny had been chilling for 4 days at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. We cleaned the lines, drew a pint and shared the glass. It was very tasty and a lot less sour then the 05.

I think raspberries would change the flavor and make it sweeter, more enjoyable to drink.

My fiancé and I have been adding raspberry syrup to my wlp1007 batch per glass. Makes it very tasty but I wish I would have fresh raspberry to add to the mix.

I also bought peach syrup which makes it taste like peacheos sour peach gummy candy. She hates peach flavor but I'm loving it. Almost like a soda. too easy to drink.

Was anyone able to find out what the malt bill was for this? I know they stated what it was but I'm interested in percentages. I asked Todd when I was there but I forgot. All I remember is that it was 90% golden promise.

I believe it was 98% Golden Promise, 2% Dingeman Aromatic. Bittered with Mandarina Bavarian. Titrated down to around 3.8 pH with citric acid, then down to 3.2 via lacto.

This is all from memory when I asked Todd about it while he was filling my keg.

Todd and another brewer both stated final ph was 3.5 but they were shooting for 3.2. I thought golden promise was closer to low 90s as well but I could be wrong. Either way I heard different things from different employees.

Tried it today, still not a fan of sours. Might need a week or so more in the bottle to see if it will carb a touch more, no head retention...

image.jpg

Who is planning on attending the next rally on 2/12? Also, does anyone know what the wort will be this time around?

Holy Cow how didn't i know about this! You get a gold star for the day!

I'm going at 1pm. I'm hoping for something other than a sour. I still have bottles and a keg from last time.

If it's anything like last time, BSG will be donating the ingredients to make the wort, so it's unlikely to have a ton of (expensive) hops in it.

Anyone have updates about the wort? I never got an email mentioning details.

Found this on reddit:

Surly Brewing Company will provide a slightly tart, oaked pale base wort that will be conducive to a variety of fermentation and aging processes. The malt bill primarily consists of Simpson’s Golden Promise malt, accentuated by Weyermann Wheat Malt, Weyermann Acidulated Malt, and Grain Millers Flaked Wheat (all malt/adjuncts were graciously donated by Brewers Supply Group). The wort will be further acidified and oaked through mysterious processes designed by Surly’s brewing team. Bittering hops will be minimal, with IBUs estimated at 10-15.

I'm going to lager one and hefe for my wife's batch. Probably no spices or orange but who know. When i smell or taste it, i'll know what to add.

Found this on reddit:

Surly Brewing Company will provide a slightly tart, oaked pale base wort that will be conducive to a variety of fermentation and aging processes. The malt bill primarily consists of Simpson’s Golden Promise malt, accentuated by Weyermann Wheat Malt, Weyermann Acidulated Malt, and Grain Millers Flaked Wheat (all malt/adjuncts were graciously donated by Brewers Supply Group). The wort will be further acidified and oaked through mysterious processes designed by Surly’s brewing team. Bittering hops will be minimal, with IBUs estimated at 10-15.

Well if that's true then I'll probably pass. But sounds too complicated to be true.

I'm really new to what appears to be a sour beer, depending on what "slightly tart" means. What yeast would you guys recommend? I mostly brew with Wlp001, wlp007 and Wyeast 1450, but am definitely open to getting a different strain.

I am really disappointed in this one. I'm really not a fan of sours, and they basically just oaked the last version. Come on Surly, give us a little variety in style.
That said I'm prolly going to just go with a German ale (Wyeast 1007) and dry hop with a fruity German hop like opal or the like.

Back