10 Gallon Lagering Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a lagering setup, but I need to do it for 10 to 20 gallons (2 to 4 5-gallon glass carboys). Has anyone done this, and whats the best way to go about it? Chest Freezer? Fridge?

Thx

My personal preference is for a chest freezer, only because I get nervous about having all that weight sitting on a refridgerator shelf. Of course with a freezer you would need a separate temp controller, and with a fridge that isn't necessary. I guess it boils down to whatever you can score in your local garage sales, if you're like me and too cheap to buy new. My freezer holds two 5- gallon carboys, but it is too short to hold 6 1/2 gallon carboys. But it was free so I can't complain.

Just use a chest freezer and lager in cornies rather than carboys. They are so much easier to handle and you can naturally carbonate your beer in them.

Kai

Here are shots of my 10 gallon fermentation setup for lagering. Certain rooms in my basement are highly conducive to lagering, while other rooms are ideal for making ales.

lagering-10-galllons_2_1_1.JPG

primary-fermenter-for-10-gal_1_1_1.JPG

Back