Best HB Snacks. No Low Fat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Okay, at the Chairman's behest, I will inaugurate this fattening thread. Let's all post a favorite "goes with beer" (like anything doesn't....) snack.

One of my all time favorite dips is made with a layer of refried beans, a layer of guacamole, a layer of salsa, a layer of ground beef (spiced up a bit, taco style, or a can of chili con carne at worst) and a pile of cheese. Bake this muck up and hit it with Nacho chips.

Chairman better post SWMBO's salsa recipe.

cheese and bread...blue cheese, manchego, bell paese, drunken goat. anything with flavor, and a belgian ale.

i think in France its called a ploughman's lunch, except they usually include an onion (blah!)...an apple is a good replacement if you dont like eating onions in the raw...

Beer makes me crave salty stuff. I like pepperoni with beer. The nice, greasy stuff, too. It's deadly!

Know what's even better (and worse at the same time)? Those Red Hot Penrose pickled sausages. Repulsive and delicious at the same time. :D

New York Deli-style Hot Italian Sausages slow-cooked in a smoker. Can't get them in Oregon, so my business partner ships me some in the winter months.

Homemade guac, Helluva Good french onion dip with Fritos Scoops. Buffalo wings.

Swami I hear you... I can't stop myself either, and the local butcher makes some excellent little cold-eatin sausages... maple, teriyaki, any level of hot pepperoni.... and they all go good with beer, and then each beer makes you want some sausage, and each sausage makes you want more beer...

Buffalo wings done right is hard to beat. I have a hard time finding ones I like, though. I haven't perfected a recipe, either.

SwAMi75 said:
Buffalo wings done right is hard to beat. I have a hard time finding ones I like, though. I haven't perfected a recipe, either.

wings annoy me. too much work for the meat.

I'm a cheeseburger or fish-n-chips guy, if I can get it.

If I'm forced to grab a snack out of the pantry, it's usually chips, peanuts, or pretzels (salt salt salt salt).

-walker

Guys are killin me with the sausage... Need to try some of that...

Super Sharp Cheddar with thin sliced pepperoni and triscuits... :rockin:

and salted peanuts in the shell...

Ize

In russia we used to eat these tiny, dried and salted fish. They were about 1.5 inches long, and they had the head and guts removed. Totally repulsive and I wish I had a big bag of them right now. Awesome with beer. Too bad we had to drink Baltika with them...

Anyway... SWMBO does make a pretty mean salsa that's good on everything and an odd thing I like to have with malty german beers in the summer-time is fresh raddishes with salt on them.

Are you guys talking about Buffalo-style wings or plain, boring hot-wings? Both will do for me, but the old style Buffalos were the best, where you got plain wings and did all the dipping and flavoring yourself.

There is only 1 way to make Buffalo wing. Wings, butter, and Frank's Red Hot. I forget if it's 2 parts butter and 1 part Franks or vice versa. I guess it depends on how hot you want the wings. This is the original recipe from the bar in Buffalo, I think it was called the Anchor Bar or something like that.
If you want authentic wings you need to go to upstate NY. Cavallo's in New Hartford, NY has really good wings.

My roommate's mother makes some killer spicey trail mix that's great with beer. I've got to remember to get the recipe off her sometime.

HurricaneFloyd said:
There is only 1 way to make Buffalo wing. Wings, butter, and Frank's Red Hot. I forget if it's 2 parts butter and 1 part Franks or vice versa. I guess it depends on how hot you want the wings. This is the original recipe from the bar in Buffalo
Absolutely 100% correct! Give me a minute and I'll track down my notes for the correct proportions.

HurricaneFloyd said:
There is only 1 way to make Buffalo wing. Wings, butter, and Frank's Red Hot. I forget if it's 2 parts butter and 1 part Franks or vice versa. I guess it depends on how hot you want the wings. This is the original recipe from the bar in Buffalo, I think it was called the Anchor Bar or something like that.
If you want authentic wings you need to go to upstate NY. Cavallo's in New Hartford, NY has really good wings.

Glad I read through the whole thread because I was going to post that too. IMHO this is the ONLY way to make buffalo wings. Deep frying them is best, but I've gotten good results grilling them too. Wings done right cannot be beat.

Floyd, you really gotta find a way to get down here for a brew day. Sounds like we would all have a blast.

As for one of my faves, I found a Pub Mix at one of our grocery stores that really goes well with beer. I think Utz makes it. It is similar to Gardetto's, but better. The stuff gives me acid reflux like you wouldn't believe but I keep going back to it.

Those big sourdough pretzel sticks from Utz ! Makes me thirsty just looking at the bag.
Pizza. Put anything on it you like. It was made for beer.
Blue crabs boiled with Old Bay seasoning and served with lemon butter. I've eaten them all my life and can only stand them once a year now, but I enjoy that one time.
Anything high in salt and low in nutritional value seems to work. Think I'll buy a big salt block to go on my bar. Works for the horses.

For me it just has to be cheese curds. Specificly deep fried cheese curds for twice the fatty goodness. I also find that the best thing that goes with a beer is more beer.

HurricaneFloyd said:

HEY.. i was gonna post that as well.

If you are looking for the ratio... the recipie is on the back of the franks red hot bottle.

we did about 4 lbs of wings like this along with the fried turkey referenced in a previous thread.

perfect..

ws

Since I can't get sliders whenever I want anymore they rule when I can get em... But when they were available all the time... yeah... 2am they ruled, lunchtime... debatable....

Ize

I think White Castle is one of the most disgusting things you can eat. Growing up in Jersey, I had a few chances to go to white castle. My last time there a friend ordered a chicken sandwhich. He takes a bit and realizes that the bottom bun was actually a fish patty.

HurricaneFloyd said:
He takes a bit and realizes that the bottom bun was actually a fish patty.

They don't even SELL fish, do they?

I personally love the burgers. Yes, they are terribly unhealthy. Yes, they can mess up your digestive system. I just love the taste. Can't explain it.

The onion chips rock, too, but I REFUSE to eat the chicken rings. I mean... doughnut shaped chicken? What part of the chicken could that POSSIBLY be? Hmmmmm?

Can anyone say "sphincter"?

edit: I'm glad that I do not live anywhere near a whitey's. I'm sure I'd eat them too often. As it is now, I only eat them once or twice a year (whenever I am back in Cincinnati for holidays/weddings.)

-walker

Back