Earthquake in SoCal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone around me felt it down here in SD, but my boss and I felt nothing in my office. Now everyone is coming to my office if the big one hits.

Yeah that is probably about 15 miles from here at my office in Santa Fe Springs. We are ground level and shook real good, but nothing was damaged, just a couple things fell off shelves and that was about it. It hit pretty strong though.

Yeah that is probably about 15 miles from here at my office in Santa Fe Springs. We are ground level and shook real good, but nothing was damaged, just a couple things fell off shelves and that was about it. It hit pretty strong though.

Good to know, thanks. My house is much further away, but that doesn't keep me from thinking the worst. You know...walls cracked, glasses shattered, kegerator taps open and spewing ESB onto the floor, etc. ;)

Good to know, thanks. My house is much further away, but that doesn't keep me from thinking the worst. You know...walls cracked, glasses shattered, kegerator taps open and spewing ESB onto the floor, etc. ;)

Noooooo! Anything but the ESB! :D

You should be fine. You can't even tell we had an earthquake now.

yeah that was fairly large, but it didn't last more than...what...a minute or so. I'm guessing there's more on the way, maybe not bigger, but there will probably be some aftershocks.

I'm here at work on the fourth floor of this newly constructed building that was made with earthquake rollers. Anyone ever been in an earthquake in one of these before? It's pretty interesting, the whole building just swayed back and fourth well after the quake had subsided.

yeah that was fairly large, but it didn't last more than...what...a minute or so. I'm guessing there's more on the way, maybe not bigger, but there will probably be some aftershocks.

I'm here at work on the fourth floor of this newly constructed building that was made with earthquake rollers. Anyone ever been in an earthquake in one of these before? It's pretty interesting, the whole building just swayed back and fourth well after the quake had subsided.

Hey, a minute seems like a century when the ground is moving under your feet!

I'm in the same situation, nearly new high-rise on the 4th floor. There was LOTS of motion going on, but it wasn't as violent as a quake on the ground...just swaying and rocking, almost like a small ship at sea.

My girl just called from her office downtown...on the 49th floor! Apparently it was a pretty wild ride up there, lots of people sick to their stomach from all the swaying.

49th??? Damn, now that sucks.

I'm on the 8th and the dizzy feeling while sitting in your chair is amazing. The thing I noticed was the vertical blinds swaying and hitting together pretty good. I'm just down the street from LAX.

So, anybody in SoCal entertaining thought of renaming anything in the fermenter?
Earthquake Amber?
The Big One IPA?

The possibilities are endless...
Serously, it sounds like things aren't too disrupted. Glad to hear it, Socal.

Haven't been in a big quake since Whittier in 1987. When it hit, I was sitting at a traffic light in my old Volvo. Thought the engine was being weird again, until I noticed the utility poles swaying.

My first brew is in the second day of fermentation. Will the shake mess it up? I may have to rename it. LOL.

My girlfriend was in the shower when it hit. I was standing in the door saying, get out! but she rode it out. It wasn't that bad but the walls were swaying pretty hard in this old, two story apt. building. I see where my bookshelves moved, but nothing fell.

Back