Big Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhead

Reaction score
guys

I'm looking for a big sweet stout recipe. something with chocolate, vanilla, maybe some french roast coffee beans, molasses, and and oh yea in extract version please.

heh

much appreciated

while i'm waiting - how about critiquing this:

.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs. American Black Patent
.5 lbs. Black Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 120°L
3.5 lbs. John Bull Dark
3.5 lbs. John Bull Amber
0.33 lbs. Molasses
1 lbs. Lactose
1 lbs. Flaked Oates
0.60 oz. Eroica (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

brewhead said:
while i'm waiting - how about critiquing this:

.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs. American Black Patent
.5 lbs. Black Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 120°L
3.5 lbs. John Bull Dark
3.5 lbs. John Bull Amber
0.33 lbs. Molasses
1 lbs. Lactose
1 lbs. Flaked Oates
0.60 oz. Eroica (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

I'm far from an experienced stout brewer (in fact, I've done one, and it's still bottle conditioning - :D ). However...I think maybe cut out one of the roasted barley or black patent.

I used 500g of chocolate malt in mine, and nothing else really dark, and it's as black as the night and has significant 'burnt malt' bitterness (or it did when I tasted it at bottling).

Perhaps a more experienced stout brewer will happen along...

i see so maybe .25 lbs of each?

and thanks for your input

i've done 5-6 stouts but i want some big this time. lots of flavour both subtle and strong with lots of mouth feel - texture...

well then i call upon the god that is know as the DUDE. bring hither the fermented milk stout

Shambolic said:
I'm far from an experienced stout brewer (in fact, I've done one, and it's still bottle conditioning - :D ). However...I think maybe cut out one of the roasted barley or black patent.

I used 500g of chocolate malt in mine, and nothing else really dark, and it's as black as the night and has significant 'burnt malt' bitterness (or it did when I tasted it at bottling).

Perhaps a more experienced stout brewer will happen along...

You are exactly right.

brewhead, I'd drop the black patent completely and go with somethign like 1 lb. crystal 120 and .5 lb each of chocolate and roasted barley.

Otherwise, it looks like an EXCELLENT recipe.

on your recomendation sir

i will report back on the progress of THE BIG SWEET OATMEAL STOUT

thanks for the input

Looks nice! I might add that I hope you're serious about it being sweet, because with 1lb of lactose, it definitely will be!

Also, a note on that yeast. It's really flocculant, and will drop out on you. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, just that you might have to rouse them some to get it fermented down properly.

I just brewed up a Sweet Oatmeal Cream Stout.. just transfered it over to the keg tonight, THE DUDE will be over Fri to help me bottle with the beer gun.. So far after the taste, its really good

ok i sub'd out the black patent with the crystal.

my hbs did say that he uses a debittered patent that is not as harsh. but i said we'd go with the crystal this time.

but overall he approved of the concoction and i have purchased the ingredients and can't wait until this coming saturday! :D

THE DUDE will be over Fri to help me bottle with the beer gun

beer gun you say? i 've seen beer guns for kegging bit this one is for bottling?

btw thanks for everyone's input

ok this big sweet oatmeal stout (for good or for bad) is in the primary!

will keep everyone updated.

thanks for the input

Back