PM water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
I've done one PM, and from what i can tell, it didn't turn out all that successful. Not worries about that for now, or atleast until the beer is bottled.

My question is more for future PM batches and what kind of water to use. As mentioned, I've only done one PM batch and the rest have all been extract. For the water, I've just been filling my 5gal water bottles at the grocery store. I've looked on the machine, and it doesn't really specify as to what type of water it is, although I THINK it may be RO water. The machine is a Glacier machine.

As I was browing some PM instructions, I came across this:

If your water is chlorinated, you should consider using a faucet filter or purchasing spring water. Distilled water should not be used for mashing. You should not mash with water which has been processed through a salt-type softening system, or with Reverse-Osmosis water

So from here on out, should i keep from using this water w/ PM's. I believe with extract it should be fine. Or should I just cut out this water for the mash portion, and use spring water? (although i'd prefer to just use one type of water for the entire brew)

Let me know what you guys think.

if you can't find out what kind of water that bulk machine is creating, I would go with spring water.

also you should not rule out tap water. if your tap water is good enough to drink, its probably good enough to make beer. You may need to treat for chloramine with a campden tablet, but only if you have 'enough' chloramine to be a problem. I use tap water for all my AG batches. kind of a high pH, high carbonate water, with a small amount of chloramine.

my beer tastes damn good. your milage may vary.

i still need to get a water report from here, but the reason for me using the dispensing machine is because the tap water here is complete crap. i wouldn't want anyone to drink the junk here.

ahhh, Vegas...yeah I bet the water there is pretty heavily treated. the few times I went there, I stuck to bottled water or yards of margarita :)

I certainly would not brew with Las Vegas tap water. I doubt it has gotten any better since I lived there, I even filtered the water for the garden. Glacier machine water is filtered, unless it specifically says RO (a much slower & more expensive process). Should be fine for brewing.

david_42 said:
I certainly would not brew with Las Vegas tap water. I doubt it has gotten any better since I lived there, I even filtered the water for the garden. Glacier machine water is filtered, unless it specifically says RO (a much slower & more expensive process). Should be fine for brewing.

glad to see a few know about the horrible vegas water..lol

thanks david, 'ppreciate the help. The machine, from what i can tell, doesn't say anything about it being RO. Just shows a picture on the front and gives a explanation of the filtering process, so I guess you'd be correct in thinking that it's filtered water.

Back