My Home Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitchster

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a house the last day of February this year that came with a detached garage that included a loft. I instantly knew that this would be the new home for all my brewing equipment. However, it definitely could use some work to get it looking better and, thus, the spending and remodeling began. I just thought it would cool to make a thread showing the progress of the project and will periodically post updated pics. Let me know what you guys think! Keep in mind though that I've never done a day of carpentry in my life so please don't be too overly critical.

Here's the before photos:

20150302_203702.jpg

20150302_203708.jpg

20150302_203725.jpg

20150302_203738.jpg

Here's after the shelving and cubbies have been taken down and a little bit of drywall taping. Most of the shelving and cubbies will be rehung after painting:

20150328_160027.jpg

20150328_160048.jpg

20150328_160102.jpg

20150328_160115.jpg

20150328_160133.jpg

20150328_160139.jpg

Building some framing for underneath the stairs and up along the stairs. I ripped all the wood on the stairs off to be replaces with drywall.

20150401_190835.jpg

20150401_193629.jpg

20150401_201432.jpg

20150410_141229.jpg

20150410_143756.jpg

Time to hang some drywall and do some mudding! To say that I'm glad that I'm done with all the mudding would be a HUGE understatement! That **** sucks.

20150410_152837.jpg

20150410_152848.jpg

20150418_165230.jpg

20150418_173612.jpg

20150418_193239.jpg

20150603_083449.jpg

Looks like a great space. I look forward to the next update.

I added some wood paneling over the insulation on the garage door just to give a cleaner look. Finally time to prep for painting.

20150603_083504.jpg

20150603_083540.jpg

20150603_083541.jpg

Painting is done on the walls. I never thought I would get to this point. I'm getting so close to being where I can use it.

20150603_102746.jpg

20150603_102759.jpg

20150604_120710.jpg

20150604_120717.jpg

20150604_120726.jpg

20150604_120731.jpg

20150604_120740.jpg

That is a great space for a brewery! So are you going to be using the loft for brewing or just the garage?

That is a great space for a brewery! So are you going to be using the loft for brewing or just the garage?

Just the garage. I'm thinking of making the loft into a bar or something. Not quite sure what I want to do with it yet. I can't wait to finally have it finished!

Dang, sweet set up!

Thanks man!

damn! Not bad at all for someone who has no experience! Looks awesome!!

What's the first brew going to be in the new brewery?

And yea, making the upstairs into a bar/hangout room would be sweet. Everyone can see where the magic happens when they walk in then go upstairs and drink it. Pretty awesome!

damn! Not bad at all for someone who has no experience! Looks awesome!!

What's the first brew going to be in the new brewery?

And yea, making the upstairs into a bar/hangout room would be sweet. Everyone can see where the magic happens when they walk in then go upstairs and drink it. Pretty awesome!

Thanks man! I haven't decided on the brew just yet. I was thinking about my Imperial IPA though. I'll probably be moving all my equipment up there this upcoming weekend.

As far as the upstairs is concerned, that's a project for the future. I'd like to get central heat and air in there. Everything has already been installed aside from the condenser so it wouldn't take much to finish it out. Unfortunately I spent way more than I anticipated on the remodel of the actual brewery so the upstairs is going to be on the back burner for awhile.

That space looks great. These projects are always a great way to learn good skills. Things you thought were beyond your reach at first will be second nature by the end.

This part is all too common:
Unfortunately I spent way more than I anticipated on the remodel of the actual brewery so the upstairs is going to be on the back burner for awhile.

Looking forward to the progress. :mug:

That space looks great. These projects are always a great way to learn good skills. Things you thought were beyond your reach at first will be second nature by the end.

This part is all too common:

Looking forward to the progress. :mug:

Yeah, youtube is a wonderful thing. :D That's where I got all the info for mudding, which is a huge pain in the @ss and I hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon. At least nothing with inside corners. It is rewarding looking at the progress and knowing that I did it all. The only downside is, my wife now thinks that I have the knowledge and skill to build our next f***ing house... :smack:

I'm so jealous of you for having a two-story garage. Man, I want one of those so bad. It's coming along really well. Keep up the good work!

If you're going to pour the beer upstairs, you might want to put a "dumbwaiter" in before you close all the walls up. It's like a man-powered elevator, and would be SO MUCH easier to get full kegs up/down the stairs.

For the record, I'm totally jealous of your garage. One day....

As others have already stated, not too shabby for someone who says they have no experience. Sure, some of your miters on your partition wall on the stairs could have been a little better, but it's not load bearing, and who's gonna see it under the drywall (which doesn't look bad, either. Drywall and mudding is not easy by any stretch)

Thanks again guys.

LandoLincoln, I almost sh*t when we found this house with the upstairs in the detached garage. I was just fortunate to get a house with one. Just dumb luck really.

thelastleroy, dude I wish I would have posted the progression photos a little bit at a time so that way I could have worked that into the plans. Unfortunately, the walls are all sealed already. Great idea though.

beerme70, Like I stated in my last post, youtube is a wonderful thing. :D A lot of very helpful videos about mudding. I had a friend suggest building the frame for underneath the stairs nothing fancy and it does it's job. As for the petition wall, I didn't have a miter saw. The Angles on the wood were actually cut with a circular saw. I set the angle of the cut to the max of 45 degrees and took a chance. I was wondering how long it would be before someone pointed that out.:mug::mug:

So my next step is to paint the cubbies and rehang them. All but the ones hanging on the back wall (where the window unit is) and the large one next to the door. The ones that were on the back wall will be replaced with a piece of 4'x4' peg board. That will be it for awhile until I get the ok to burn some more money.

Something I would really like to install would be a sink. The previous owner actually laid PVC pipe from the house all the way up to the garage and it has a spigot. You hook the end of the PVC pipe at the house up to the hose and have a water source at the garage. Pretty cool actually. Well, I want to take that one step further and add a tankless water heater and a sink so it essentially is a stand alone brewery. I wouldn't need to take anything to the house to clean it.

And, of course, I would eventually like to go electric. The garage has 200 amp power running to it so power shouldn't be an issue. Nope, the money part is the only issue.:D

Well, I feel like it's about time I posted an update. Unfortunately, things got in the way of me having it completely done by now but I feel pretty confident that I will have ready to start moving equipment in by this upcoming, although, I've said that over a month ago and I'm still not done. Anyway, here's just an updated picture to show the garage as it is now. I painted the cubbies and rehung them. I also added a wood face and side to the shelving in the far right of the picture. This is where the grain will be stored. Next up will be to paint he workbench surface as well as the 2x4's that are holding the workbench together. I'm a Stone Brewing fanatic (the Mrs. and I are both originally from Escondido) and I collect a bottle for every different Stone beer I drink. I plan to line the tops of the cubbies with those bottles. Let me know what you guys think, or maybe some ideas you may have to add.

20150729_192830.jpg

Well, after a very time consuming and labor intensive journey, I've reached the end. I have finally finished "twitches brewery". The construction part anyway. All that's left is moving the brewing equipment up to the garage, mst of which is already done. I haven't brewed in over two months and, to be honest, I'm jonesing for a good brew session. So, in these pictures I'm just showing the final work as far as construction is concerned. I've hung peg board along the back wall and everything is painted. I also put 3 coats of polyurethane on any surface that would have stuff stacked on it. Here it is!!!

20150803_185436.jpg

20150731_151542.jpg

Looks green to me...oh, wait...that's just jealousy clouding my vision. Super good looking!!! Great job.

Don't forget to show some pics when it's all setup.. Looking great!

I will definitely be posting more pictures this weekend when i get everything moved up there. I have a brew session planned for sunday so i'll take some pictures of that also.

I got everything moved up to the brewery this weekend (except my conicals due to them needing to be washed) and actually had my first brew session. Without further ado, here is the finished product, as well as a picture chronicling my first brew day in the new brewery!

20150808_160545.jpg

20150808_160553.jpg

20150808_160607.jpg

20150808_160620.jpg

20150808_160629.jpg

20150809_120313.jpg

Latest posts

Back