Odd Yeast Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Man

Reaction score
So I've made 3 extract batches so far. My first batch is at least 2 months old now and is now tasting good, fermentation temp was too high. I used Nottingham yeast. So I pour myself a 22 and let it settle. I notice in a minute how I got a good amount of yeast activity, lots of bubbles. This bottle was old and had been chilled for a long time. I pulled out some of other bottles and shined a flashlight to see any similar activity. There was nothing visible. The yeast are still bubbling away though right? I know how the yeast consume byproducts produced during primary and must still be active to make the bear taste better with time but is there more to it after chilling and then pouring a couple months later? It seems like the yeast will never die. And one more thing, how the heck does Guinness get that sour taste?

I'm assuming what you looking at is Co2 out gassing. just like when you pour a coke. There is no way a bottled beer two months old is going to still be fermenting.

It tastes better with time because the flavors meld together and "mellow" Not because theyeast are working away for months on end. When they run out of food, they quit and go dormant.

I'm sure its yeast. There are little groups from the bottom to near to top bubbling away in the same fashion as I have observed yeast act before. It is not CO2. It is just like when I poured as 24 of some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I could see a dot size clump of active yeast on the wall of the glass bubbling away.

Stout Man said:
I'm sure its yeast. There are little groups from the bottom to near to top bubbling away in the same fashion as I have observed yeast act before. It is not CO2. It is just like when I poured as 24 of some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I could see a dot size clump of active yeast on the wall of the glass bubbling away.

If it's been in the fridge very long, then the yeast are dormant. They can't do their thing when they are cold.

this may not be the same thing you are describing, but on occassion after washing my pint glasses in the dishwasher i noticed a similar if not the same thing.

after further investigation there were little specks of stuff where c02 seemed to be developing more vigorously. obviously just an unclean glass with some bubbling hitchhikers in it.

after i stopped washing them in the dish machine and doing it by hand i havent really noticed it.

The answer to the guiness question is in the Complete Joy of Homebrewing in the Toad Spit Stout recipe on pg. 206. I don't know if you have the book, so I'm going to give you the answer. Guiness actually adds sour pasteurized beer to the recipe.

Back