AHB Blue Moon clone kit smells kinda like a sewer while fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed this on Sunday. Ferment was rolling strong within 12 hours. I used corn sugar to bump the ABV a bit, plus pumped oxygen into the wort before pitching. Those are the only two things I have done differently than my previous batches, so I am wondering if that made a difference. It smells in the closet where it is fermenting....kinda like a sewer. Is this a sign it might be infected? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Where did you hear about pumping oxygen into the wort?

It should smell like beer of rising bread.

Got a picture?

Is it in a bucket, or a carboy, or what?

I read about adding O2 on the forum...not exactly sure where. I just thought it would give the yeast a little bump. Not a good idea?

image-2601496726.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. 4 days after pitch.

I am wondering if the smell is just the liquid yeast that I used. I have only used dry yeast up until this point.

I am wondering if the smell is just the liquid yeast that I used. I have only used dry yeast up until this point.

Some varieties of liquid yeast do throw off a sulfurous odor that you might call sewer smell. It's normal and it will go away in time. Don't rush this beer though. You adding oxygen to the wort was good brewing practice, especially for the liquid yeast as it needs oxygen to help it make new cells. Dry yeast doesn't need it as badly but it is still a good practice.

Thanks for the response. That helps to put my mind at ease. That....and the Hopslam I just finished. :)

Back