Recirculation techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your recirculation technique?

• I don't recirculate

• Pump directly from mash tun outlet

• Pump from grant

• Manually use a pitcher or other container (pull and pour)

Results are only viewable after voting.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have tried a few ways of recirculation, all of which seem to be a little more work than they should. I'm considering using direct pumping, but I'm a little apprehensive. Don't want to cause a stuck runoff.

What do you use?

I don't know if mine is technically a grant or not, but my mash tun drains to the brew kettle. I use the brew kettle to increase the temperature, and pump from there back into my sparge arm.

Direct draw. Just make sure you restrict the flow. This will decrease the amount of suction and reduce the chance of a stuck sparge.

I fill a one quart pot slowly, once. Things usually run clear after that. I return the wort to the top of the mash by pouring it over a large spatula that I hold in my other hand.

Put a ball valve on the output of your pump and recirc for 10 minutes at the end of mash. Or use your immersion chiller as a herms setup and recirc the entire mash time. Never had a stuck mash with the restriction at the pump output

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. but if vorlaufing, I crack the valve just a bit and drain into a clear plastic 2 qt. pitcher. The wort usually runs clear before the pitcher is full. I carefully pour it back into the tun and continue.

Back