IPA is gonna be bone dry...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Just did an british IPA, 6.5 gallon batch, 15 lbs of marris otter gave me 1.082 and hit it with 18 ounces of candi after 24 hours to bring me up to 1.090. Here it is now, 4 days later, my gravity is down to 1.020 and its still fermenting strong, going to lose at least 5 more points, maybe 8. I had hoped for a little sweetness in the brew. Might have to look into back sweetening... better than a stall I guess

Keep it dry, and add lots of dry hops. Should be good at 9.5%. I just had one that went from 1.080 to 1.005. Will be bottling that one in 2 weeks.

hough77 said:
What is back sweetening?
Its a somewhat iffy process of trying to sweeten a beer post fermentation with non fermentable sugars such as lactose
Calder said:
Keep it dry, and add lots of dry hops. Should be good at 9.5%. I just had one that went from 1.080 to 1.005. Will be bottling that one in 2 weeks.
More hops you think? I bittered with 2 ounces of nugget, then added 6 oz E kent and 6 ounces of Fuggle mixed at 15 and 5 minutes. Its got an @sston of hops... im not saying it'll be bad, im just used to these bigger brews being a little sweeter, like 1.020 or so. Ill probably let it do its thing and see what happens. I mashed at 148 so I was expecting it to be highly fermentable but not to this extent.

Here it is now, 4 days later, my gravity is down to 1.020 and its still fermenting strong, going to lose at least 5 more points, maybe 8. I had hoped for a little sweetness in the brew. Might have to look into back sweetening... better than a stall I guess

If you were hoping for sweetness, a single base malt and pure sugar probably wasn't the way to go.

And maybe it won't drop to 1.015 or 1.012 (which I wouldn't call bone dry to begin with) if you are just going by airlock activity to judge the continuous strong fermentation. I prefer my IPAs (albeit American IPAs) to finish around 1.012.

BrewThruYou said:
If you were hoping for sweetness, a single base malt and pure sugar probably wasn't the way to go.

And maybe it won't drop to 1.015 or 1.012 (which I wouldn't call bone dry to begin with) if you are just going by airlock activity to judge the continuous strong fermentation. I prefer my IPAs (albeit American IPAs) to finish around 1.012.

I was hoping to showcase the MO which I've not used before, so I just went with that.. I can tell from the activity inside to carboy that its still in active fermentation, along with the fact that the gravity is falling steadily

Back