looking for a hoppy nose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Councilman

Reaction score
I would like to brew a very hoppy IPA for my second home brew. I really enjoy Arcadia's IPA and their Nut Brown Ale. The Nut Brown has the same floral hoppy nose, but is less bitter than their IPA. I like them both, but my bride dosen't like the bitterness of the IPA (but she loves Guinness and the doppelbock that I brought home the other night.. go figure).

Any recipes?

Oh, being a newbie, it's gotta be an extract.

My buddy dry-hopped his last couple IPAs with Cascade and Chinook and they have a pretty good nose on it. The head retention is good too, so that keeps it smelling nice.

Adding a fair amount of hops toward the end of the boil - maybe 2 or 3 oz in the last 15 or 20 minutes will produce a good hoppy aroma. Even better, you need to dry hop with an ounce or so in the secondary. Using whole/leaf hops for the aroma hop additions and for dry hopping is also a better idea than using pellets.

Extract or all grain of course does not matter in this sense.. what you're concerned with here is the hops and not the grains/extract that go into the receipe.

daveIT - that's interesting that your buddy used chinook for aroma as it's a high AAU hop typically used for bittering and not aroma. I've heard about people doing it though and thought about doing it myself but chickened out. So tell me, how is the chinook aroma? It sure smells good when it goes into the boil!

edit: might I suggest either cascade or fuggles as your aroma hop. They're both mighty tasty. Cascade is THE american aroma hop and fuggles is a very popular noble hop. There are certainly a lot of very good choices but you can't go wrong with either of these.

Thanks!
That's what I'm looking for. I'm really new to homebrewing, so I am trying to learn what hops will give that wonderful, floral aroma I so enjoy in Arcadia beers. :D

Lost said:
Cascade is THE american aroma hop and fuggles is a very popular noble hop. There are certainly a lot of very good choices but you can't go wrong with either of these.

I agree with you there. I've got an IPA sitting in my secondary now with 1 oz of Cascade flowers floating on the top. It still burps through the airlock on occasion, and if I catch it doing that I rush over and inhale the gas that bubbled out.

God that brew smells heavenly. Three or four more weeks, and I'll be having my first drink of it. Until then I'll just wait for more bubbles through the airlock. :D

-walker

Latest posts

Back