Stupid AG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aseelye

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question after taking some measurements after moving my wort from the primary to secondary, as my FG is seemingly way too low. I made a 5.5 gallon batch with

10 lb 2row
1lb biscuit malt
1lb rye malt
1lb carapils

I was/am making an IPA, and my SG came out to 1.079, showing an 80% efficiency. I'd have expected a FG of somewhere in the 1.019 area (indicated by BeerSmith), but I pitched a ton of yeast (sediment from a 1 gal starter of Nottingham), it went vigorously and quickly, and is now measuring at 1.011. Something is seemingly wrong here, but I'm sure I read the hydrometer correctly both times, and can't think of what else is going on. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the carapils is fermenting as I put that in the Mash/Lauter tun, and perhaps the enzymes from the 2-row converted the sugars from it. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen though, so I'm just throwing this out there for any ideas. I'm sure I've left something critical out, but as this is my first AG batch, I'm just curious what I did wrong here.

TIA,

-Aaron

It sounds to me like you made very fermentable wort. What temperature did you mash your grains at? If the temps were in the low 150s or high 140s that would explain it.
I wouldn't worry to much about it yet. For an IPA you might still have a good beer there.
I would say you did an outstanding job for your first AG. :mug:

I wouldn't consider it "wrong," unless you were hoping fomr something a little sweet. I agree with Rich....you likely mashed in the low range. To my tastes, that's a good thing! I don't think you converted your carapils. :)

Rich/Swami,

Thanks for the replies, that makes me feel a bit better, as it was a lower temp mash. I was just looking initially at the OG, and taking that as a measure of what the yeast should be able to attain given then 75% attenuation rate, and when I hit roughly 85% wondered if something went awry. I didn't think the carapils would convert, but then began to wonder if they just didn't convert because they lacked the enzymes internally, and were being converted with the enzymes from the 2-row.

Thanks again, now I just get to wait another week until I bottle, then it's a matter of will to not drink it for another couple weeks. :) Now I'm just glad I had a pound of non-fermentable grain in there, or else it'd be an extremely thin brew.

-Aaron

Yeah, it'll likely be a little "hot" to begin with, but it will mellow. I had a couple IPA's start out with so much alcohol burn that they were undrinkable, but some age took care of that. I'd give yours 2-3 months before they're mature, maybe more considering your OG.

Carapils undergoes starch conversion, but the resulting sugars are not fermentable.

Lower mash temperatures mean more fermentables, but they also mean better efficiency because simple sugars are easier to dissolve.

Hope you hopped that puppy!

Are you sure the liquid was at 60degF when you measured? Most hydrometers are calibrated to 60. You can measure hotter or colder, just adjust using promash hydro adjust function.

cwixon,

It was about 75, but that'll only throw the numbers off a few points IIRC. It sounds like a low fermentation temp coupled with a very healthy yeast pitching caused this. Not that I mind of course.

Back