Low Hydrometer reading at Repitch time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbadawg

Reaction score
they say you learn with your first batch. i pitched my yeast at too high of a temprature. after 4 days I called Midwest where i got the Raspberry Wheat Malt Extract kit. They said just to repitch the yeast it would be fine. so i waited 3 more days for the yeast to arrive( No brewing supplies where i live) and repitched the yeast earlier today. but my hydrometer reading was below 1000 at 67 degrees. is this batch ruined or will it be ok.

recheck your hydrometer reading - in fact check the hydrometer in some plain water at 60 degrees to make sure it reads 1.000.
i don't think any beer will finish below 1.000

Make certain the hydrometer is floating :D & recheck the reading. You should be around 1.008-1.015. If that's the case and it tastes ok, you've got beer!

ok did another reading and i made a rookie mistake, and read the hydrometer wrong. at 68 degrees it read 1.012 is this any better.

ok 3 days no bubbles any suggestions besides swirling or just trash it and start another batch

No, no no! Your beer is fine, it's done! Taste it- use a sanitized turkey baster and pull some out. It'll be flat but it'll be BEER. If it was 1.012 two days ago, it was done then! Check the s.g. today and if it's still 1.012, you can bottle or move it to secondary.
Don't worry- the beer knows how to ferment. You did fine. You made beer!

Lorena

transferred to carboy, hydrometer reading still 1.012. so im still in good shape?

I would say it's beer... drink it... and for the love of god don't waste it :). Jesus my first batch I didn't know you had to prime it before bottling it and it came out flat as hell. I tell you thought I drank every damn litre till it was gone, lol.

Beer is beer... drink it.. love it...

Oh ya your in good shape in my view. Just leave it somewhere warm to finish fermenting if need be. Otherwise let it clear and bottle. It might not be your best beer but from the sounds of it it should be about average

simbadawg said:
transferred to carboy, hydrometer reading still 1.012. so im still in good shape?

I'm a rookie as well and I think your beer is fine.

I just finished a batch at 1.010 and is now in my secondary.

Sit back and let it work for you, congrads:mug:

i have just now learned that i should have put water in the airlock. is it ruined or since i got a good hydrometer reading that im still ok. Ill be glad when im not a rookie. LOL

Since your hydrometer readings seem normal, your beer appears to be done. Some brewers don't even use airlocks, so (to reiterate) PLEASE don't throw your beer away. TASTE IT! If it tastes like warm, flat beer, prime, bottle, and wait at least 2 weeks while your beer conditions at room temperature.

beer finished at 1.013 and i bottled it but before i bottled it i tasted a small taste and it was very bitter. hopefully its not skunked? and it had an acid taste

Back