Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1955.jpg

Brewed the AG recipe with 0.75lb of lactose. It was fantastic. Great combination of chocolate/coffee and very smooth. Entered into a local stout competition and came 2nd (out of 40)!

Tried to rapidly chill one the other night and left it in the freezer too long, turned into a sweet stout slushie. A little cold but not an unpleasant.

Last edited:
Brewed this as a 6 gallon all-grain batch just over two weeks ago.

I'm looking to split the batch and keep 3 gallons true to the recipe (except i increased the lactose to .75lb instead of .5) and then add:
  • 2 vanilla beans (bourbon soaked, split and scraped)... or
  • 4/5 ounces of "caramel" coffee beans (course crushed, drop muslin bag with bean in secondary)... or
  • both the above...
I'm worried that the coffee beans (even being caramel flavored) will add too much coffee to the brew and be overpowering... but hoping the caramel comes through more than anything.

Maybe just 1 vanilla bean and 2 ounces??... struggling here, help!

What do you guys think?
I just did a brown ale, ABV ended up at 6%, and only used 1oz of whole beans, dry hopped for 20hrs and the coffee flavor is there. I didn't want it to over power, but wanted more of a coffee flavor than I got from the recipe. 4-5oz will be very prominent.
I have found that I prefer the flavor from using whole beans more than ground or cold brewed. Also, the flavor seems to stay longer and is consistent for a longer period of time once packaged. Other methods seem to either fade quicker or it becomes like old coffee too quick, in my opinion.

Really want to brew this for Christmas but it's December already. Any thoughts on trying to Kveik this and have it done in 20ish days? I'm thinking OML's Voss.

Cheers

Really want to brew this for Christmas but it's December already. Any thoughts on trying to Kveik this and have it done in 20ish days? I'm thinking OML's Voss.

Cheers
Do it for science. I haven't used Kviek yet but Hornindal might be another good option for this.

Extract:

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

All-Grain (assuming 75% efficiency):

6.5 or 7 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.5 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Lactose (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

Mash 60 min @ 152

Ferment 1 month @ 67 degrees F
I carbonated 2 volumes, but I suppose you could go higher

Enjoy!

I have a question for you guys - 6.5 or 7lb Pale Malt doesn't seem to add up to 4.5 lbs of DME For me. Going off different conversion charts, I always get a coefficient of 0.56 lbs of DME per one pound of 2-row (my efficiency is 70%). 4.5 lbs of DME for me converts into 8 lbs of 2-row and not the 6.5 or 7lbs suggested. What am I missing here?
@RoguePixels @tripeland

Secretlevel, I use 7 lb, comes in about right, there's a lot of other grain in there, plus lactose, to get the OG up. But you know your system, if you need to bump it up a LB, do it.

This is a great recipe, you'll love it whatever you do.

Brewing a very similar recipe today that I'll split into two variants.
1. Coffee milk stout
2. Whiskey barrel aged milk stout

Finally brewed this... 55 gallons of it!! My homebrew club did a brew-in and this was the recipe we went with. It's got a healthy amount of roastiness, chocolate notes, and very good balance. I'm not sure if the lactose settled to the bottom, but the 10 gallons that I took home isn't as sweet as most milk stouts on the market, so I ended up adding another .5 lb lactose. I'd say it's still on the lower end of milk stouts in terms of sweetness, but I'm happy with it.

I took another 5 gallons of Deception and boiled it down to ~3.5 gallons worth of 1.107 OG wort. It's still conditioning and I'll report back with results soon.

IMG_20200404_185220.jpg

A few updates:

- Adding adjuncts to this beer is good. I enjoyed adding some coffee and cinnamon to my recent batch and my friends loved it. To me, it tastes like a cinnamon roll stout.

- I had the original version (no adjuncts) reviewed by 3 judges and the consensus was 40 points. Not too bad!

- I also made an imperial version by boiling the recipe down for an extra 1.5 hours. The result is 1.107 OG beer that I actually really liked. It's certainly a little less roasty due to higher residual sugars, and it tastes different from the original. This iteration has more raisin and caramel notes than the original:
Imperial Deception.PNG

Sorry, know the last reply to this thread is 2 years old. Hope there’s no issue in bringing it back up. Haven’t brewed in a couple years, trying to finally get back into it and looking for a dark beer as we move into the fall season soon. I was looking for a higher abv as well.
I will be brewing a 3 gallon batch. Any thoughts on leaving the extract recipe exactly the way it is and not adjusting to a 3 gallon volume for a higher abv? I would probably just adjust the bitterness to match the recipes IBU with the lower volume.
Thanks all for any advice

EDIT: I realize that the amount of adjunct grains maybe too much to put into a 3 gallon batch, and I maybe better off adjusting to they’re proper grain bill percentages.

Last edited:
Sorry, know the last reply to this thread is 2 years old. Hope there’s no issue in bringing it back up. Haven’t brewed in a couple years, trying to finally get back into it and looking for a dark beer as we move into the fall season soon. I was looking for a higher abv as well.
I will be brewing a 3 gallon batch. Any thoughts on leaving the extract recipe exactly the way it is and not adjusting to a 3 gallon volume for a higher abv? I would probably just adjust the bitterness to match the recipes IBU with the lower volume.
Thanks all for any advice

EDIT: I realize that the amount of adjunct grains maybe too much to put into a 3 gallon batch, and I maybe better off adjusting to they’re proper grain bill percentages.
You might consider dropping the lactose completely. I think it might be too much with higher ABV.

Back